Apologies… late bay alert!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike F

Reaction score
Sorry to post a pic of a late bay but this is brilliant… or is it an early with a late front?

This was taken back in 2000 in Brussels. I'd gone with friends to take pics of football grounds. One in particular was brilliant, Duden Park, home of Union St Gilloise. We got to the game early, went to the bar and had a half litre of Hoegarden in a glass which had been frosted. Brilliant. After the game we stood outside waiting for a friend and this drove up to sell ice creams to the fans coming out.

It is also the only pic I've ever had published in Volksworld.

My crossover had to have a new front but luckily James Wotton cut out the old indicators and welded up the late bay hole for me. Only way you could tell was the small VW badge.

Belgium has a few of those vans, I've seen ice cream vans in Brugge like that and there's a waffle bus that trades at Ninove too. I'll find some pics later :D

I think it's a late , with early bumpers. Big airintakes, late wheelarches.

I think I can just about see a petrol flap, so it's either a '72 with a late front panel, or a '73 with early bumpers and the deformation panel removed.

I saw one like that selling waffles in Brussels :)

BrotherNumberOne said:
I think I can just about see a petrol flap, so it's either a '72 with a late front panel, or a '73 with early bumpers and the deformation panel removed.

I saw one like that selling waffles in Brussels :)

Agreed, I think it's a crossover rather than a late with the wrong front panel on it,

I think you're all wrong. Crescent shaped air vents and narrow 5 make it a 71 in my books.

Pay attention Chris we are talking about the original picture posted in the first post :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts