Are '71 front hubs same as '72-79 front hubs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean the spindles?

The spindles are '68-'70 (drums), '71-'72 (early discs) and '73 onwards (late discs), the caliper mounting area on the spindle is different between the years as far as I know. :)

What are you hoping to do? :)

Hmm. Can't help you there, I've never seen that done...

Good luck :)

WHY do you want to know ,you can fit late calipers on early discs/hubs with adaptors from jk.i think the hubs are the same cos i know late discs fit the same as 71s ,its the diameter thats differant,lates are bigger.

I'm not sure if the hubs are the same - they certainly *look* the same...

On my '71 I binned the '71 only calipers and fitted late calipers & pads with the JK kit (£14 iirc) using my original discs, hubs, bearings(new) and spindles etc

All looks factory too :D

Heritage list hubs as 8/70 onwards, C&C list front hubs as 71-79, and bearings the same.

So I'd say they're the same :)

Thanks Matty. I'd seen that on C&C and Heritage myself but was just wanting confirmation from someone who had actually done it ;)

I'm doing a linkpin conversion and the only way to keep 5x112 is to use Brazilian bay spindles (which are still linkpin) and use front brake calipers from a '72-'79 bay as this is what the brazilian spindles are drilled for. In turn, I have to use '72-'79 discs which are slightly bigger than '71.

I was asking the above to see if I needed to add '72-'79 hubs to the shopping list or if I could use my existing '71 hubs.

I thought it would be a simple yes/no question :lol:

Ouch! :lol: I see what you mean :)

Any idea why the brazillian bays are still linkpin? Is that the 'new' ones or the old ones that use half splitty panels and parts?

Ive done this not so long ago the hubs are fine you will need new disc's as 72 only are different

Then it all bolts together alright

Rob

yachty said:
Rob b said:
Ive done this not so long ago the hubs are fine you will need new disc's as 72 only are different

Then it all bolts together alright

Rob

Nice one Rob, that's the answer I was hoping for. Thank you buddy ;)
+1 here, I did the same when I fitted my RED9

They are indeed the same

One thing I've just woke up an remembered is the backing plates wouldn't fit even if I re drilled them they ran to close don't know if there another 72 only part

Rob

Cheers Rob. Thats strange as I can only see backing plates advertised for '71-'79. But the pic on JK shows they have only 2 screw holes whereas my '71's have 3 screw holes! Weird. Thanks for the heads up, will have a look into it. What did you do in the end?

Edit.....just found this on the heritage website "This Brazilain VW version needs a third hole drilling to mount it on a European van"

So, I guess brazilian spindles only have 2 mount holes. Will have to wait and see if my backing plates fit :roll:

I drilled & shaped mine to fit as the RED9 arm fouled also, 10 min job, I will see if I have pictures

Latest posts