Auto Linea crankcase problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if anyone has experience of Auto Linea crankcases?

I have been building a 1641 on one and got to putting the final cylinder (No 1) on. I went to turn the engine a full cycle and it jammed. After investigation it appears that the corned of No 1 was catching on the top on the case (see photo)! All standard parts- so I'm baffled as to why. Must just be down to the 'quality' of the car. Rest assured- the supplier is getting my wrath tomorrow.

Stu

Oil gallery cases have always plagued Autolinea cases, especially the main bearing saddle holes not lining up with the bearings.

As they are sand cast, sometimes the mold shifts and the walls will be thicker in some areas and thinner in others. That's pretty much what you are experiencing. A way to look if yours is badly shifted is to look how round are the lifter bore bosses. If they are not round, you will know there was a lot of shift.
These cases require loads and loads of work to make them good, rarely works well out of the box, i never found one really.
CB Performance does not use them anymore even in their high BHP builds for many reasons. Only Gen VW mag cases are being used apart from the all out engines.
Abel

Latest posts