Battery Charge

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagboyblue

Reaction score
whats the best way of checking a battery is holding its charge

is it just a simple current test???

I want to rule battery problems out before diving into all the wiring, coil and dizzy

i just tend to use my volt meter an check over a period of days but also most scrap yards have a sytem for checking batteries, think it is called the drop test to check all the cells, to work out whether to scrap it or sell it so might be worth you poping into one

JTB

most garages and even some trye centres can test batterys, if yor battery is draining have you tried remove any fuses to see if it stops draining battery, how long is it taking to discharge? stereo memery, clock, alarm, interior light? What is your charging system like, had an alternater packin a few years back and that draind battery!

tried another battery and the engine is still not turning over - nothing from the starter motor

checked all the fuses and wiring and everything looks ok, it was working one minute now nothing. The only thing i can think of is the starter has gone up the swanny, but that is less than a year old??

any ideas??

Is it totally dead, i mean does the starter motor make any sound atall?

If there is nothing but the lights do appear on the dash when you turn the key, then get a wooden mallet or plastic mallet, crawl under you bus and whack the starter motor on the side a couple of times, then get out from underneath and try it again. Repeat a few times and see if it works. If not then take the connectors off the starter motor clean and replace with a smidge of Vasaline ;)

Sounds wierd but the starter motor commonly gets stuck between contact points and needs help to make the connection :D

dagboyblue said:
nothing at all from the starter

i love hitting stuff with a mallet 8)

will give it a go

do the lights come on when you turn the key tho?

Try putting a short from 12v (the starter motor connection) to the spade connector on the starter this will bypass the ignition switch and associated wiring, just momentarily you should here / feel the solenoid push forward and the starter spin...

if not it may be a new solenoid your after

just be cautious theres a lot of current there so a good insulated screwdriver or thick cable fixed at one end that way you only need worry about one end waving about

mate i dont think ive shit and moved as fast as that ever before got to stop smoking dude :lol:

tried hitting th starter - nothing

will try putting it in gear and giving it a rock - it may help

otherwise i'll have to get the truck jacked up for closer inspection of the starter :(

May be the connections then, get them terminals cleaned and try again. 8)

Latest posts