Battery charger advice required please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbmkk

Reaction score
I have fitted a second battery to my Westfalia California, to act as a leisure battery.

Due to the dedicated space in the van, a metal box directly behind the drivers seat, a normal car battery was bought, instead on an offical 'leisure battery'. A friend who has a similar van recommended the battery, an Exide Excel, type 096 1a20d (whatever that means ???)

Now I assume I shall need some sort of charger, to keep it ready for action.

All I know about chargers is that my father used to remove the battery from my mothers car sometimes, stick it on charge in the garage overnight and hey presto the car started in the morning. No doubt chargers have come on 'leaps and bounds' in the last 30 years.

What are the options available please ?

My mate mentions a trickle charger, but I'm not really sure he knows fully how it works ... just that it came with his van.

As I don't have one at present, I just want to make sure I get the best thing possible. I'll be getting a TV fitted to the van shortly, so don't want to be suddenly without power.

To charge the battery, do I have to remove it from the van and attach it to the battery terminals as in the olden days, or can something be wired up, so the charger can remain out of sight and in the van

Thanks for any advice provided.

Regards !

Hi Jim

Thanks for the quick reply.

I actually came across the Ctek website a few minutes before I posted the question and was quite impressed (although I don't really know why .. suppose I take Sweden as the manufacturer of good auto parts)

They don't look like the battery chargers of old though, plain rectangular boxes.

I shall have to read up a bit more.

Regards !

Your best bet will be to put the spare battery in the rear of the van in the engine bay. In the opposite corner to the normal battery. Then buy a split charge system which are normally not to much money and fit that. You will then charge the spare as you drive along.

davechorlton said:
Got ctek xs7000. So far so good. Can also act as 12v supply on mains hookup.

I bought a "probudget" charger iirc - this also acts as a 12V power source so stays on when on hookup most of the time - check out my leisure battery thread and others if you need inspiration for a permanent install?

davechorlton said:
Got ctek xs7000. So far so good. Can also act as 12v supply on mains hookup.

I'll second that a great little charger.

I have a CTEK one and I'm really pleased. I needed a bit more oomph for the fridge, so ended up with a marine version - which is good as it's in the engine bay beneath the air vents, so gets splashed occasionally.

I did email CTEK to get advice on the correct version to get - and got sound advice back.

I also have a small CTEK charger for the van battery just to top it up occasionally - that came free with a magazine subscription :)

Nick

i've got a numax one ..... comes into play when i plug the hook up in:

IMG_0016Small.jpg

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-Leisure-Battery-Charger-10A-P6127.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fella you should use a leisure battery if you want to use it for leisure.....a car battery has good cranking power for turning the motor over but requires chargeing asap, a leisure battery will drain deeper but will handle frequent discharge/recharge cycles, and for a battery charger just make sure it covers the 3 charge cycles

Daft question time?

How does this actually work, does it need 240v hook up to charge the leisure battery?

I think i'm reading this wrong, my brain says that you need hook up for it to work. If not, how does this work?

Confused.com

The reason i ask is that my new fridge drains the battery after a few hours and by drains i mean it must take all the charge from it as nothing else will whorl (lights etc). If i unplug my fridge from the 12v all the lights start working again (after maybe 30 mins) and i cannot work out why it does that?

Tezzah said:
Daft question time?

How does this actually work, does it need 240v hook up to charge the leisure battery?

I think i'm reading this wrong, my brain says that you need hook up for it to work. If not, how does this work?

Confused.com

The reason i ask is that my new fridge drains the battery after a few hours and by drains i mean it must take all the charge from it as nothing else will whorl (lights etc). If i unplug my fridge from the 12v all the lights start working again (after maybe 30 mins) and i cannot work out why it does that?

Does this help?

buswiring.jpg

I'm guessing that your fridge is a cooler rather that 3 way gas or compressor type - these eat batteries as they are quite inefficient - mines wired into a 240v convertor and only runs on this to save draining my leisure system

lard said:
Tezzah said:
Daft question time?

Confused.com

Does this help?

buswiring.jpg

I'm guessing that your fridge is a cooler rather that 3 way gas or compressor type - these eat batteries as they are quite inefficient - mines wired into a 240v convertor and only runs on this to save draining my leisure system

Hi mate. Its a JK one which we got to replace the dead 3 way we had. What's the smartcom thing (is that the relay???) and following your diagram, what would be the best inverter in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

lard [img said:
http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt225/lard007/VW%20Camper%20Projects/buswiring.jpg[/img]

Hey lard, can i ask,
the relay / switch for the stereo and lights etc , what is it called or do you have any links ??
all i can come up with is:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAWORLD-BATTERY-CHANGE-ISOLATOR-SWITCH-CHANDLERY-/120344208220?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item1c0512e35c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers potts

pottinger said:
lard I'm guessing that your fridge is a cooler rather that 3 way gas or compressor type - these eat batteries as they are quite inefficient - mines wired into a 240v convertor and only runs on this to save draining my leisure system[/quote said:
Hey lard, can i ask,
the relay / switch for the stereo and lights etc , what is it called or do you have any links ??
all i can come up with is:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAWORLD-BATTERY-CHANGE-ISOLATOR-SWITCH-CHANDLERY-/120344208220?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item1c0512e35c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers potts

lol - just posted this image in your other thread so you must have been searching as I was posting!

tbh I haven't fitted it as I ripped this all out when I changed the interior

Latest posts