Battery tray

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke

Reaction score
I have discovered a problem with my van on its maiden voyage after being welded/painted, the n/s battery tray isnt attached on 3 sides! When the chap welded the van he put on new rear corners but he didnt attach the battery trays to them (i think they are welded to each other?) the problem is now that my gigantic leisure battery has been bouncing around on it and its pretty much completely broken off, not the best thing to discover 200 miles from home at the begining of a 2 week trip! I cant weld the tray to the rear corner because it will ruin my fresh new paint :( has anyone has a similar problem? how did you solve it? i might fit a whole new tray because it has some acid damage, could i just weld a brack under it to support it?

Yep had the same problem with mine and was advised that I needed to weld along the long panel to refix (on fresh paint !!!!!!!),it did fail the mot on this ,however what was left I managed to rivet plate in and it passed.The other option was to put the battery on the other side of the van.

Good luck and don't weld if you can get away with it.

Hi!

I need a new battery tray, didnt want a welder distorting the panel, though it has be painted in a slightly wrong shade of pearle white :roll:
I was thinking, maybe cut out the rot and sikafix a new one onto the OG edges, after treating them with rust proof stuff..... Sikafix will stick really well, bodyshops use it for fixing plastic scuff trims on and bodykits etc. Just a thought though, i dont really wanna weld mine either..........

Alistair

It is possible to glue panels in place there are now automotive grade panel adhesive available. Lotus bond the whole elise chassis together, no welding or mechanical fixing (I have seen one of these with no body work and its quite a peice of engineering), jag used bonding technology and rivets on the current XJ.

I dont know any trade names but it might be an option, the only thing I hear is the surfaces to be bonded must be very clean.

Fix it in using 3M 2pack panel adhesive, i've done a couple using this also fitted one of my rear arches on with it top stuff but follow directions.

Steve

Latest posts