Beetle exhaust on a 1600 early bay westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robcod

Reaction score
Think I’ve seen it done twice now including today in the early Bay Area at Stanford hall. Sadly no one around to discuss. So although I’ve heard it can’t be fitted, it looks like it can. I quite fancy the nice little beetle engine sound. Anyone able to expand, thanks :D

I’ve always like the idea of a beetle silencer and a pair of bus tail pipes.

Same here, used to run a standard beetle exhaust on my 1600tp xover, straight bolt on and made that nice whistly beetle noise.

They fit without a problem, and you'll probably get away with it, but there's a good reason why busses were fitted with a side exit exhaust. The area to the rear of a bus is a very low pressure area when you're driving along, and if your exhaust exits there, there's a possibility that if your boot lid seal or decklid seal isn't very good, then exhaust fumes will end up in the bus.

My bus has a Beetle exhaust (Stainless) with a pair of Early Bay tailpipes (RHS one cut and welded to be a mirror image of LHS).

Early bus tailpipes are a smaller diameter to Beetle ones, so I sleeved the bus tailpipes with sections cut from a Beetle tailpipe.

I like the fact it's subtle and retains the tiny exhaust(s), while giving moderately better flow (in theory!)

xtsGFGyh.jpg

Forgot to mention, I think the late bay single piece tailpipes are the same diameter as Beetle ones :)

Latest posts