Best Awning or tent for 1971 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swetton1

Reaction score
Hi

Ive recently bought a 1971 tintop westy. I have a wife a 2 yr old and a new born and we are looking to go camping this summer
Looking at the khyam Driveaway XC and others online
Any recommendations

Also does anyone know whether you can get iso fix fixed to the back seats for our new borns car seat

Thanks a lot

Si Dog

I ditched my awning and replaced it with a tent. Have a look at the new air beam awnings and tents if you want something quick and simple to errect. Going for a tent also means you have a million more options than just an awning.

I started out with a kyham awning which was well made but a pain to errect as it took a while so went with a tango tent. 10 minutes to put up etc and nice and simple to put away.

Just my thoughts. :)

Regarding ISOfix I didn't bother I just fitted decent belts so that I could secure the kids seats securely.

Been using our Khyam Motordome sleeper awning as a tent for past few years as van's been off the road. All been good and as it's quick erect, goes up easily I found.

I've got the motordome sleeper too & no complaints, just got the extension annexe for it off eBay .
There is a khyam air beam for sale on eBay currently which looks good

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

Kyham Motordome sleeper + annex for us too!

Although not had the annex out of its bag yet as the motordome is massive!

Not cheap but I think these awnings are well worth the money - especially when its thrashing down.

I am interested to see how these "air beam" awnings get on after a few uses and whether or not they spring leaks like almost every airbed I have owned.

One more vote for the Motordome Sleeper, really quick and simple to put up / take down, with loads of room. Also only takes a couple of minutes to unhook, zip-up and drive off. If you set out one of the spare day-glow guy ropes as wheel guide, with a peg as a stop point by your front wheel you can line up every time you come back :D

Good idea, I use a large tent peg by the centre of each tyre as my target for realigning, plus a few well chosen swear words :)

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

When they're all looking out of there caravan windows just waiting for you to cock it up you drive straight up first time, jump out and hook up :lol:

I've hot the motor some sleeper and used it for over 90 nights it's very good.
The new breed of airbeam awnings look great though, and I have a brand new one for sale classifieds. Just not ready to replace mine yet.

we used a Khyma xl drive a way loads of space but have moved over to a Vango airbeam awning and pup tent for kids. Very quick to put up and pack a way

Latest posts