BIG red

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squareweave

Reaction score
Here is the latest addition. This will also be the last addition as I have a bit of a problem with buying new buses and not finishing the ones I have started. My savannah adventurewagen will have to go up for sale when i get this one completed and then have two more of my own I plan on keeping. It is completely rust free, not under the windshield, none in the battery tray, front floors......... nothing. I found this just north of LA California and had it shipped to Washington state where I trailered it home to Vancouver.

It started its life out as tintop westy and was a tourist delivery van. It came to the US and had the top installed and spent its whole life in Southern California. I purchased it from t owner who had owned it from 1984. He was such an awesome guy to deal with helping me have it picked up etc.It's all OG paint, original interior, with some 70's additions (ie; wheels, fridge where the buddy seat goes, etc). The disco will be removed and corrected with original parts. The plans are to keep this van as original as possible rather than a resto. Going completely stock with painted hubcaps, stock 14" wheels etc.

The reason I ventured on buying this is because my grand parents had a red highroof just like this and I always though that if I could find a decent one I would buy it. Well....... I struck pay dirt.

I will try to fill in progress as I go but it may be slow as I need to work on this bad boy to have it ready for the Classic. Here are a few pictures of the van:

DSCN1058.jpg

P1010084.jpg

DSCN1073.jpg

DSCN1071.jpg

DSCN1067.jpg

DSC01610.jpg

P1010096.jpg

P1010105.jpg

P1010106.jpg

P1010107.jpg

P1010108.jpg

P1010109.jpg

Dude thats a lovely bus you have there, can you tell me more about the interior -is it part westy and part adventurewagen ?? real nice you scored again there! :p

thebustemple said:
Dude thats a lovely bus you have there, can you tell me more about the interior -is it part westy and part adventurewagen ?? real nice you scored again there! :p

Well it started out life as a tintop tourist delivery westfalia. It did its travelling in europe and then when it was shipped to the US it was sent to an conversion company and had the roof and upper cabinets installed. As far as the wheels go they are coming off and correct grey hubcaps and stock cloud white wheels are going back on.

Wow that's a great bus! should do a pic with the beige together..

I'd keep the wheels though, great period touch! ;)

Well the roof came off on Sunday. Here are a couple of pictures.
P1010115.jpg

P1010118.jpg

Sunday the interior also came out as well as the front windsheild. The rear cargo floor is perfect, no rust, no scratches, nothing, just perfect red paint. The bottom of the windshield had no rot as well.

Last night I took off the front drums, tie rods and trailing arms and associated parts. New center pin going in as well as new tie rods, all new brakes and ball joints. Its going to ride like a dream ;)

I will try to snap a few pics tomorrow!

squareweave said:
thebustemple said:

Well it started out life as a tintop tourist delivery westfalia. It did its travelling in europe and then when it was shipped to the US it was sent to an conversion company and had the roof and upper cabinets installed. As far as the wheels go they are coming off and correct grey hubcaps and stock cloud white wheels are going back on.

dude thx for info, lookin real sweet
the pics with the roof off are cool looks like a boat! and the patina paintwork is real cool nice one man

keep the pics comin

Whats the plans then? Going back to a westy roof / tintop or will you be refitting the high top?
Any other plans your going to share or do we have to wait and see? :lol:

Nice ! :D

'ere' if you don't want the high roof, can you pop it in a jiffy bag and post it to England for me :lol:

froggy said:
Whats the plans then? Going back to a westy roof / tintop or will you be refitting the high top?
Any other plans your going to share or do we have to wait and see? :lol:

Thanks for all the encouragement. Plans are to keep it as a high roof. I took the roof of to redo the seal between the roof and van. I did't want to chance it and have water rushing in as I was driving down the interstate. I took a few pics this morning. The garage is a mess because of tear down mode so just a few of the details.

Here they are:

The 70's alarm wiring and misc extra add ons I took out. No splicing the loom thankfully!
P1010114.jpg

OG clock and grills
P1010120.jpg

P1010116.jpg

Extra holes from euro plate from tourist delivery days. Check out the difference in the paint!!
P1010119.jpg

Floors are still filthy from the years, looks like sawdust from when the highroof interior was installed maybe. I wiped the one spot in the middle to see the shine. Four holes drilled for under mount propane tank which I removed. I think I am just going to get rubber plugs and seal up the small holes rather than welding. ZERO RUST HERE!!
P1010117.jpg

Test polish on the pass door. This paint is really really dry.
P1010115-1.jpg

That's it for now

rallye dale said:
Ivor said:
Nice ! :D

'ere' if you don't want the high roof, can you pop it in a jiffy bag and post it to England for me :lol:

You could turn it upside down and sail it over :D
Nice idea, shame he's gonna keep it .......... :lol:

Well no, not a shame, nice to keep the Bus as it was, looking forward to more pics, and dead jealous of the
lack of rust................ :D

I've been spending most of my time working on the van not snapping pics or on the computer. Wiring is now sorted, interior of van is all washed up now that cabinets are out, Westy wood is all revarnished, motor is out being rebuilt, wheels have been sandblasted and resprayed the correct cloud white and new correct 8 ply tires and front end is currently apart receiving new ball joints, tie rods, drag ling, center pin and damper. Still tons to do with less than a month to go so I will try to update as I go.

Oh yes I have also polished the front nose and all trim has been reinstalled with the addition of Flat German Bosch H4's.

P1010121.jpg

Front floors are a perfect and now clean thanks to my wife :D Doors still have the factory vapour barrier in place.

P1010120-1.jpg

Rear floor all washed up.

P1010123.jpg

Painted wheels, going with factory grey hupcaps too

P1010117-1.jpg

P1010116-1.jpg

New Westy floor to go in!

P1010118-1.jpg

Body is all wet sanded and ready for a polish. My garage floor looks like we gutted a whale in there :lol:

P1010119-2.jpg

Latest posts