birch ply headlinig

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baj

Reaction score
hello there, had a busy day today me & my mate fitted my new roof headlinig today & put some insulation in the roof

big thanks to grazy with the templeats ;)
big thanks to sebroberts83 for selling me the metal j & I trim for the headling
and to all who i picked there brans about how to fit this headling
thanks bruce

100_1816.jpg

100_1819.jpg

100_1818.jpg

100_1820.jpg

100_1821.jpg

100_1821.jpg

thanks bruce

sebroberts83 said:
Nice one Bruce, glad the metal worked out and looks like you've done a top job ;) Seb
cheers seb :) there's a few bits that could do with triming back abit, but it will do for now.

looks really good that! - how many sheets of ply did you use? Ive got to do the exact same job with mine

Wishart said:
looks really good that! - how many sheets of ply did you use? Ive got to do the exact same job with mine
cheers ;) you need 3 5x5 sheets of 1.5mm birch ply & the metal trim too.

do a search on here there's a few peeps that have done it & very helpfull too.
thanks bruce

ive got all the original metal trim - just need the wood now :D im searching for more posts now too - did you have much left over? I want to re-do the rear hinge cover if possible ;)

Wishart said:
ive got all the original metal trim - just need the wood now :D im searching for more posts now too - did you have much left over? I want to re-do the rear hinge cover if possible ;)

i didn't do the rear hinge cover as i'm putting a top locker/cuboard up there.
there's enough wood to cut the front cab section & rear hinge cover on one sheet.
bruce

done abit more on the roof, it's a slow on going project ;)
ripped all the horible carpet that was trimed on the inside of van all round the windows.
just need to get some origanal trim to go back there.
DSCN5866.jpg

DSCN5867.jpg

DSCN5863.jpg

DSCN5861.jpg

Bump on this old thread.

I'm considering this as an option for my bus - well more than considering it's what I plan to do, however as a total newbie to this sort of thing can someone please help with the following questions please?

1. Where can I get a pattern for a 1971 tin top?
2. What is the silver insulation, is it bonded straight to the roof with 'glue'?
3. What are the metal rods needed for installation and where can I get them?

Thanks.

have a look in the parts for sale section fella. there are templates there, or morcambeandwise is selling the whole lot as a kit.he does the metal j and H sections too.The J sections are rivited to the sides of the van to secure the sides of the head lining,and the H sections fit between the panel joins.there are 3 panels for a tin top.

Just about to start this job on my old beast :) I would also like to know what you have used for insulation and wether its possible to stain/varnish the ply before fixing cos painting upside down is really hard on my old bones lol :)

Top job looks great! can't wait for mine to start looking like that 8)

I put silver insulation in mine from Wickes DIY , about £25 a roll

And i gave mine 3 coats of satin varnish

Check it
100_2406.jpg

100_2405.jpg

type2tattoo said:
Just about to start this job on my old beast :) I would also like to know what you have used for insulation and wether its possible to stain/varnish the ply before fixing cos painting upside down is really hard on my old bones lol :)

Top job looks great! can't wait for mine to start looking like that 8)

the insulation i used, i got it off ebay it's bubble wrap with silver stuff on it, or as grazy said you can get it from most diy stores, wickes etc etc.

as for staining the roof panals, get them all cut & fitted to how you want them, then take them out & stain both sides of the wood then fit them back in, job done ;)

Latest posts