BLIMEY! JK have early bay doghouse front tinware in!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kopperdrake

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share the good news for those of you contempating hacking a piece of non-doghouse front engine tinware up so you can get your twin port ship-shape, JK have just started to stock repro doghouse tinware for splittied and early bays - and the good news is they're only a tenner rather than the £50-60 you might end up paying if you could actually find one!

And to think I was about to hack my tinware up tomorrow and only went on their site for a pack of tinware screws!

Weehaa!

Do you mean this one?

http://shop.justkampers.com/product_info.php/products_id/13882

The one in the pic on that page is a beetle one. It'll fit, but leave huge gaps at both corners.

If it is a beetle one, I'd kick up a big fuss until you get the result you want ;)

Yep - that only with the hole for the doghouse. As it arrived this morning I can tell you it's *not* the correct piece. As Tofufi points out it leaves big holes in the corners - I've attached a pic of the problem and of my original piece (on carpet, as every good engine should be) which I may have to cut up now.

Can anyone confirm that the piece I've bough and am holding up against the engine is for a bug? Or is my bus weird?

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_0130_1.jpg
    IMG_0130_1.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 563
Cheeky muppet - it's already been powder coated :D It's just for a single port and we've just upgraded to a dual port so need a hole cutting in it. Didn't fancy butchering a good piece of tinware but think I'll have to now.

or pm 67 bay he does an adapter to the bug tin which requires welding on.....that way you have a good tin and you can sell your sp one and recoup some of the cash.....

I may be on the hunt for an sp one myself soon....

kopperdrake said:
Yep - that only with the hole for the doghouse. As it arrived this morning I can tell you it's *not* the correct piece. As Tofufi points out it leaves big holes in the corners - I've attached a pic of the problem and of my original piece (on carpet, as every good engine should be) which I may have to cut up now.

Can anyone confirm that the piece I've bough and am holding up against the engine is for a bug? Or is my bus weird?

Hope you realise, but in the top pic, the tin-ware is the wrong way round. That big hole should be at the back of #3 cylinder, not #1 where it is at the moment :wink:

Araon said:
or pm 67 bay he does an adapter to the bug tin which requires welding on.....

WHS^^^ Fitted one of 67 Bays adapters to Beetle front tin testerday. It worked a treat and we managed to fit it with the engine in place to. Bit of a squeeze but it is possible if you remove the alternator and fan shroud. If you want to see some pics let me know and I'll post some up.

Can knock yer one up this week kopperdrake if you want one.

Get yer pics up.If i can get hold of some tinware i'll do an how to

Steve

67 bays tin exensions are excellent!!
fitted a a TP to my '69 using one of these on a beetle front tin the fit is spot on
you can weld it, rivet it or panel bond it with a coat of paint it looks the same a
genuine piece go for it!

Latest posts