Body prep and sanders

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

Reaction score
Looking at starting the body prep for a re-spray (hopefully sorted out a compressor) but next question is what is the best type of sander to get?
I've got an electric orbital sander but was looking the other day at a DA sander (round one), would this be a better option?
Does primer need thinning down the same as paint?
Also once in primer what grade wet/dry do you use before top coating?
Sorry for all the questions but thats what forums are for :wink:

I've just bought a dewalt electric 125mm DA sander. The holes in the pads allow for dust extraction and the pads are the hook and loop type (velcro) and can be changed in seconds, these round pads are also very cheap to buy in all grades. Im well chuffed with it :wink:

currylager said:
I've just bought a dewalt electric 125mm DA sander. The holes in the pads allow for dust extraction and the pads are the hook and loop type (velcro) and can be changed in seconds, these round pads are also very cheap to buy in all grades. Im well chuffed with it :wink:
Where from? I saw one in Homebase the other day, think it was bosch for about £40

froggy said:
Looking at starting the body prep for a re-spray (hopefully sorted out a compressor) but next question is what is the best type of sander to get?
I've got an electric orbital sander but was looking the other day at a DA sander (round one), would this be a better option?

An excentric with dust sucking would be nice, but most sanding should be done by hand...

froggy said:
Does primer need thinning down the same as paint?

If it does, it will be stated on the packaging

froggy said:
Also once in primer what grade wet/dry do you use before top coating?
Sorry for all the questions but thats what forums are for :wink:

800 wet will be fine.

Bought a 125mm Orbital sander with variable speed settings, goign to start with a P180 grit to get the rough stuff off and then a P320 before the primer goes on. A few coats of primer and then a finer grit (possibly 800 wet & dry?) before top coat.
Does this sound about right?

If you are getting the long panels straight a 17" sander is invaluable mine cost me £40 and was money very well spent, if its already flat and just needs sanding down orbital will do

Latest posts