Brake lights not working! :(

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali_passion

Reaction score
Hi guys is there anyone that might be able to help me fix my brake lights asap please as this is my daily. I know my brake light switch is working and my fuses are ok and my other rear lights work...

Start with the simple bits, I assume you have checked the bulbs? And also checked no cables have come adrift on the clusters?

If they are ok get a helper to press the pedal and see if you have power to the terminals when the pedal is pressed. After that work your way forward with the meter checking at fuses and the switch etc to see where you lose power. Also check the earth is good on you rear light cluster

SHould all be under the dash unless it;s been messed around with. Probably best to find the right wiring diagram on here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it a US import?

Ive checked them and they are all fine and the rear lights all work apart from the brakes and the brake light switch is working so im confused, no its not an import

If you're certain the switch is fine and you have power there then the most likely culprit looks like either the 6 way connector (black wire with red trace) or the hazard switch (terminals 54 and 54f). Make sure they haven't come loose.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sorry for all the questions but im a newbie and havnt had the bus that long, are these easy to access? Where are the located under the bus and do i need to remove the belly pan? Thanks

Hazard switch is on the dash. Probably easiest to take the clocks out. You can unscrew the silver collar to remove it. The connector block should be by the fuse box or somewhere behind the dash. Again taking the clocks out will probably make it easier to see

Not necessarily, should be easy to check those two terminals are connected and the voltage at 54f

Hi.

We seem to have the same problem.
Did you get the lights working? if so, how?

Thank you in advance.

Latest posts