Broken wing window knob / latch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Watts

Reaction score
Is there a thread here (i looked but didn't see one) on how to replace or repair broken off wing window knobs?

Photos on how to would be great

And where is a place to buy the replacement parts?

wolfsburg west sells them and if you look at your wing assy. you will see a small rolled pin that you can knock out.

Some look like they have roll pins. But some seem like mount is not there for roll pin

Here is photos of my wings so you can see

0BaywindowsAug2nd2009700001.jpg

0BaywindowsAug2nd2009700003.jpg

0BaywindowsAug2nd2009700002.jpg

0BaywindowsAug2nd7002009004.jpg

0BaywindowsAug2nd2009700005.jpg

Can I buy the replacements from Wolfsburg and they will install ok from what you see?

Thanks for the help

Brian

Hello mate, you can by replacements but are a pig to replace. I just bought a complete new opening quarter light from a show for £12 and saved meself the hassle ;)

Yes its easier than changing the catch as long as you can find a rust free example and your existing mounting frame is in good shape.

Reason its easier is because its a sod to get the glass out of its surround, the flush rivets that hold the catch onto the surround are a sod and getting the glass in with new rubbers is also - eerm - difficult.

You may well find a complete S/H replacement for the price of a new catch.

since i know you are local to me check out the pick n pull on stockton blvd as there was a bay with all the windows still on it last thursday. i think p n p sells the vent windows for about 22.00 each. also check with corey b. his username on thesamba is blackdog1999 as he has quite a few bay parts and i think he is parting a 71 deluxe out right now. i will send you a pm with his phone # in case you want to go thru him

I did one on my bus last year, cost about 10 quid for the catch, took about 2 hours to do, wish i had replace the whole quater as i had to have the glass out, drill out rivetts ( assistance of the missus required here to hold frame ) then put it all together again, ensureing new rivetts ( or as i used screws, had to tap out hole though) do not catch on rubber. If you do replace the catch allow a good couple of hours.

Anyone have photos of the process of both the window replacement and the latch replacement?

Just curious the steps?

If not when I do it I will take photos to help out others down the road

Latest posts