Show me your knob

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, I had a late bay about 30 years ago and yeah, it only had a small black knob, no lockout, your right it would have taken a bit of a Muppet to shove it in reverse instead of 2nd.
Not so much the muppetyness but more the act of throwing it into second and just grinding it in there as fast as is humanly possible when you’re up against the clock. I think the bottom shift plate and spring on a stock setup automatically throws it away from reverse but thats great when it’s new ish but you can go from first to reverse if you try hard enough and that won’t do your cog swapping box much in its quest for eternal youth and immortality :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, So you only had a little knob once upon a time huh :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,come on Nigel, you know the drill, pictures or it ain’t true.

No pictures of the gear-lever or knob available and none are likely to be available for at least the next few years!

I have always found gear-selection to be incredibly easy with my 1973 model-year VW Type 2 and NEVER selected the wrong gear by mistake!

Of course you've already seen the pictures of my stupendous, World-famous, cross-over-arm, pantograph rear-window wiper, but those pictures are more than a quarter-century old!

No pictures of the gear-lever or knob available and none are likely to be available for at least the next few years!

I have always found gear-selection to be incredibly easy with my 1973 model-year VW Type 2 and NEVER selected the wrong gear by mistake!

Of course you've already seen the pictures of my stupendous, World-famous, cross-over-arm, pantograph rear-window wiper, but those pictures are more than a quarter-century old!
It’s OK Nigel, you don’t have to be embarrassed about popping up pictures of your knob here especially on this dafty thread. This may indeed be shooting my self in the foot but I also have never had a problemo with swapping cogs In my 1970 RHD Ex Panel 1641 with twin Webber 34 ICTs and chromed over stock gearshift with extra knobby ness knob on top. :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, So that’s both of us:)

It’s OK Nigel, you don’t have to be embarrassed about popping up pictures of your knob here especially on this dafty thread. This may indeed be shooting my self in the foot but I also have never had a problemo with swapping cogs In my 1970 RHD Ex Panel 1641 with twin Webber 34 ICTs and chromed over stock gearshift with extra knobby ness knob on top. :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, So that’s both of us:)

I am in no way embarrassed by my gear-knob, salvaged from the local car breaker's yard, when VW 411 & 412 cars were common there, which has served me well for many years. My late-1970s vintage Olympus OM2 SLR camera does not have any film in it, and I would be reluctant to spend the money on film and processing solely for this purpose.

I try to avoid having anything chromium-plated or otherwise polished in line of sight of the driving position, which might result in reflected glare from the sun or other light sources.

I am in no way embarrassed by my gear-knob, salvaged from the local car breaker's yard, when VW 411 & 412 cars were common there, which has served me well for many years. My late-1970s vintage Olympus OM2 SLR camera does not have any film in it, and I would be reluctant to spend the money on film and processing solely for this purpose.

I try to avoid having anything chromium-plated or otherwise polished in line of sight of the driving position, which might result in reflected glare from the sun or other light sources.

Nigel, I’m pretty sure you knew I was yanking your chain and your aversion to sightable shiny bits is indeed admirable :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, or pulling your leg:)

Latest posts