Show me your knob

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziedog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As above really. Spotted a thread on another forum where they was showing off all their little knobs . I scrolled past then it dawned on me that I’ve got a bit of knob collection myself.
I’ll show you one or two from my sprawling collection.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,just a taster

Attachments

• IMG_3841.jpeg
    IMG_3841.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3844.jpeg
    IMG_3844.jpeg
    996.8 KB · Views: 1
The gear-lever knob on my 1973 model-year VW Type 2 (manufactured late-August or early-September 1972) is of the type used on a VW 411/412, which is more comfortable for my hand. The gear lever also has an extra bend in it (done using a pipe bender at work in 1988/89), to make the lever easier to reach.

The gear-lever knob on my 1973 model-year VW Type 2 (manufactured late-August or early-September 1972) is of the type used on a VW 411/412, which is more comfortable for my hand. The gear lever also has an extra bend in it (done using a pipe bender at work in 1988/89), to make the lever easier to reach.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,come on Nigel, you know the drill, pictures or it ain’t true.

Only pic I can find, had it sent over from states an repainted to fit in with bus. Re tapped the thread. I use to enjoy Bud also......... Honestly

Attachments

• 830-2b0ab7fd9c086590cd97c6bf250f09ce.jpeg
    830-2b0ab7fd9c086590cd97c6bf250f09ce.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 1
Although it looks big in the picture my knob is quite normal with the markings you’d expect to see on a well used knob of a certain age, definitely needs a good clean.

What I really like about my knob is that it doesn’t interfere with anything, especially on hill starts (2nd pic 1st gear) so there’s not much of a carry on getting my hand on it 👍😉

IMG_7046.jpeg
IMG_7048.jpeg

Last edited:
So if you've only got a knob, how do you disengage the reverse lock, my knob has a button on the side?
Andy, mine is a genuine Ozziedog super fandango gear shift so dosent need any extra switches or buttons for reverse. Proper ones don’t have buttons and stuff bud. Only those cheapso and nasty ness imitations Have those. Actually mines stock with a chromed cover over the stick. I’ve no idea why all the aftermarket shifters have a button, maybe it’s so them really fast racing bays don’t shove it in reverse when swiftly grabbing second, it’s more than likely a safety feature to stop accidental reversing selection.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,your knob is sideways Andy,,,,,you strange strange boy :ROFLMAO: :)

Andy, mine is a genuine Ozziedog super fandango gear shift so dosent need any extra switches or buttons for reverse. Proper ones don’t have buttons and stuff bud. Only those cheapso and nasty ness imitations Have those. Actually mines stock with a chromed cover over the stick. I’ve no idea why all the aftermarket shifters have a button, maybe it’s so them really fast racing bays don’t shove it in reverse when swiftly grabbing second, it’s more than likely a safety feature to stop accidental reversing selection.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,your knob is sideways Andy,,,,,you strange strange boy :ROFLMAO: :)
Oh yeah, I had a late bay about 30 years ago and yeah, it only had a small black knob, no lockout, your right it would have taken a bit of a Muppet to shove it in reverse instead of 2nd.

Latest posts