Buddy Box meets Car PC

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lard

Reaction score
Hi,

For those who recall my build thread for a carputer / car PC - I removed it when I updated my interior and since then it's been gathering dust in the garage, I also installed a mount for my ipad in the cab and thought this would be great...but the take in/take out every time I get in the van was annoying so I also removed this

After seeing jonboylaw's readout for his new engine on a laptop I remembered the kit was waiting to go back in and started pondering how to do it

The original thread is here and goes into what's inside the xoom car PC case and the software I'll be using http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17492&hilit=carputer

So decided that as I have a nice buddy box installed it would be the perfect place to re-install the PC! - initial piccies - just finished wiring up the power supply to a 12v plug and put the ignition detection cable to a toggle switch - the bonus of the buddy box is that I can remove the whole thing and use it outside the van.

The plan is:

USB 7'' touchscreen in the front (or VGA powered headunit touchscreen if I can sneak the purchase cost under the radar ;) ) showing centrafuse
17'' screen in the back for movies/internet access
drill some holes in the buddy box for the power & USB leads ( :shock: ) - will do this underneath
white LED tape lights beneath the buddy box - to let it glow gently when powered up 8)
USB camera for reversing
SIP/VOIP software install to hook the PC back into my home phone system and a handset on the side of the buddy box - can then answer/make calls when on the road (quite geeky!)

Just making sure everything fits:

Will update with progress!

That looks like it's going to be a cool piece of kit

It's alive!

Now to figure out why Nav isn't working....not bad - reinstalled all the centrafuse software and sorted out windows activation issues

Need to connect my 7'' touchscreen usb monitor and mount it back on the ashtray

Progress tonight - dropped into maplins on the way home for some supplies - got a switch for the ignition sensor on the PSU - I've got it programmed (via little switches on the power supply inside the case) that when it senses ignition loss to hibernate, and then power up when it's back on

I want to be able to take it out and use it in the awning so have installed a toggle switch that I can flip to power it up - started cutting holes and also put a big one in the bottom to feed in VGA/USB from the monitor and the cab touchscreen

Ignore the blue cable tie :oops: - couldn't get a switch with a high enough neck to go all the way through (quite thick wood on the box which is good) so sticking it in - also tidied up the wiring

Next - build the interface, fix the front screen - mount a 12v socket on the outside of the buddy seat into the leisure battery and fit it into the van - then it's the fiddly bits like hooking up the bluetooth GPS, reverse camera e.t.c. and fitting the LED tape underneath the buddybox

Never had a computer case with cup holders before :D

there are addictive if you have a nerdy streak running through you :)

Tonights progress - spent most of the time updating drivers for screen and installing later version of centrafuse

All good though - hooked up my 7'' usb touchscreen and removed the monitor - centrafuse setup, screen calibrated and apps installed - bluetooth dongle configured and handsfree working for my iphone :)- some piccies - of the centrafuse main menu and current apps and showing that now I only have a USB lead going to the screen and a 12v socket for power

I need to install a 12v socket in side of buddy seat to plug it back in place and fix the screen in - also need to put my ipod in or install an iphone mount to play ipod

That's cool, wish I understood it more! I'll watch with interest :D

Latest posts