Bug info

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benyon

Reaction score
When I bought my van a year and a half ago, I knew nothing about air cooled cars/vans I'm not even sure I knew there were early and late bays :oops: but I think I got away with my naivety and got an ok van.

now I am back from travelling and sold my daily before we went I have an itching for a tax exempt bug, but I only know what I have learnt about buses. Where can I read up and learn about bugs so hopefully I dont have to push my luck if I get around to buying one...?

So you are thinking of buying a Beetle? That's good but remember there are millions of them out there1968 VW Beetle so think carefully before parting with your hard earned cash. Before you start to look for the car of your dreams you firstly have to decide how much you are prepared to pay? The next think to decide is what sort of beetle do you like, do you prefer the idea of running a sound early car which, despite poor lights, almost no heating and seemingly a total lack of power, has masses of character and will possibly increase it's value if you look after it? Or does the idea of a McPherson strut suspension, disc brakes and a heater that actually demists the windows sound more like your choice? But if you set your heart on a Karmann-bodied cabriolet, then you can expect to pay a lot more than you would for a sedan version of the bug.

What to look for
Rear fenderEvery buyers guide we do starts like this: look for rust! But the first thing you want to look at is the panel between the door and the rear fender, are there signs of rust along the bottom of it? Rot here is a indication of the wheel arch has rotted through in front of the rear wheels, allowing water to enter through the sills. Rust in this area gets into the rocker panels, heater channels and eventually the floor pan as water enters the car. Look down between the running boards and the rocker panels for signs of the outer panel rusting through, waggle the running board and listen for sounds of crumbling metal. Check under the front wing behind the wheel, again rust is very common here and if rusted through it can allow water to enter the vehicle through the heater channels. Thoroughly check the condition of the front beam, the spare wheel well is another weak spot and should be examined, also look at the rubber seal round the edge of the body work for signs of rust or rot. AtDoor Pillars the rear of the car look at the rear bumper mountings, as they are prone to rust as dirt and salt are thrown up by the rear wheels. While you are under there look at the condition of the body mounting panels adjacent to the top of the rear shock absorbers for corrosion. Open the doors and check the condition at the bottom of the door pillars (right) if there is signs of rot then this can be an expensive job to put right, look under the carpet by the foot well and see if the floor is wet and if the heater channel is rotten. Lift up Under Rear Seatthe rear seat and take a good hard look at the the state of the body down in the corners near the heater channels (left) by the regulator on later cars. Lift up the carpet under the rear window and take a look for signs of rust on the floor of the luggage area. One final check is underneath the battery as this is another favorite area as battery acid eats it's way in to metal

Mechanics
Beetles are as close to indestructible as VW ever got. That's not to say they don't go wrong-just not that often. The biggest problem area is often the steering. Check for excessive play at the wheel and underneath to see if the steering swivel pin mounted on the beam has any play. New pins and bushes are available but can be tough to fit. Brakes are often pretty good and cheap to repair if not. Look for scored discs on late models. Servo brakes were fitted to later beetles; check the servo for leaks as replacements will be pricey. Gearboxes are rarely problematic , even the automatic variety. Just check the CV joints for clonks and wear. Engines in beetles will have had a hard life. So look for oil leaks, smoke and excessive crankshaft moEnginevement. 1600cc motors are essentially the same as Beetle units and are cheap and easy to repair. Look for worn carburettors, oil leaks around the pushrods and check for oil pressure. Heater boxes and exhaust pretty cheap to replace on these vehicles. Listen for leaks.

I know of a very nice 1964 UK RHD Beetle for sale at the moment, I can pass on the details if you like, not mine but someone offered it as a part ex,

captain36 said:
and here
http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqbyng.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll have a look through that site, cheers Captain, looks like what I am after.

Until I start to have a proper look I am hoping to get an MOT'd beetle for under a grand. Largely thats as far as my requirements go, oh and I'd prefer a tax free beetle. I'm not in a position to buy yet as I don't have anywhere to keep the bus if its not my daily as it is at the minute.
I have seen a few on ebay that I like the style of but without having seen them in the flesh I'm not going to kid myself that I'll bid on any of them, especially as they're all over budget...

thats it mate .. you build up your dub collection!

.. Im no expert on them, but if you need a second pair of eyes when you go looking, let us know mate... :D

Hilly

Got myself a bug now 8)

beetlwfloorbrakes004.jpg

Ended up doubling my budget and got a 68 which is about to run out of MOT :roll:

...and has a list of problems as long as my arms :roll:

...and I still haven't sold my van, so have no space and no money :roll:

but I likes my Beetle :mrgreen:

Looks pretty good from the outside. Arent 68s supposed to have upright headlights. (thought 67 was the last year for slopers).

Whats on the list...anything serious or just small stuff.

Graham L said:
I know of a very nice 1964 UK RHD Beetle for sale at the moment, I can pass on the details if you like, not mine but someone offered it as a part ex,

not one to thread jack but could you pass details on to me please dude?

clyde said:
Looks pretty good from the outside. Arent 68s supposed to have upright headlights. (thought 67 was the last year for slopers).

Whats on the list...anything serious or just small stuff.

I thought that too, the V5 says first reg date was April 68 - I get confused with production dates, so could be a 67 or an early 68 - do bugs have m plates?...

Most of the list is small stuff, the big items are dynamo needs repairing/replacing, an oil leak needs finding and fixing (oil on crank pulley being thrown everywhere, need thermostat and to look whether it has flaps or not, and find the leak that caused a big puddle in the passenger side when it rained yesterday :roll:

Rustwise its pretty solid, there are some ugly repair patches at rear of heater channel, but all in good time :lol:

Welcome to the world of bug ownership - looks like a nice example you've bought! 8)

As for your aging question - it definitely looks like a '68 to me:
Door mounted mirrors.
External fuel filler.
4 stud wheels.
Aftermarket front wings and sloping lights.
Shorter bonnet.

Nice to have U.S. spec towel rail bumpers though!!

Keep us posted...

;)

what model is it as vw still made 1200 standards with 6volt /wide 5 running gear to use up all the left over parts.our 68 drag racer is one(rare?)one easy clue is headlining only in middle of roof,painted around window frames,but to me looks like some one has fitted early bonnet and wings.67 have one year engine lids ,longer square end .

67panel said:
...but to me looks like some one has fitted early bonnet...

Looks like a later, post-68 bonnet to me - pre-67 bugs have no push button on the bonnet handle!

Have you got a pic of the rear end - will make it easier to confirm!

;)

just looked at pic again with me googles on ,those are 66/67 wide 5 wheels by the look of the caps and short bonnet(woops),so could be 1200 standard.is it 6volt?

They look like 4 studs to me. 5 studs had dome caps and they arent interchangable.
Also looks like a short bonnet.

Either way it looks a nice bug and if our happ who cares.

Its a 12v 1300. The spare wheel is a 4bolt, I haven't looked at the ones on the car :oops:

I haven't taken any pics myself, so only have those I bought it off

1540474-2.jpg

1540474-1.jpg

1540474-3.jpg

MY job list is something like this:

• n/s rear brake light not working - done, loose connection
  • n/s rear indicator light not working - done, loose connection
  • o/s rear tail light not working - done, loose connection
  • engine bay seal needs replacing - temporary fix with pipe lagging
  • fuel tank breather hose leaking - temporary fix, turned it round so split is at top.
  • accelerator peddle needs straightening, bend in it causes it to stick - done, with BIG hammer
  • drivers door window winder not working
  • horn not working
  • speedo not working
  • fuel guage not working
  • heavy oil leak needs finding and fixing
  • charging system not working
  • window seals need replacing
  • engine needs a good service
  • fit thermostat & flaps if necessary
  • doors need some attention as they don't hang straight
  • door panels need some more clips
  • exhaust needs changing to something less raucous!
  • needs new tyres all round
  • Change 009 for vac dissy

.... That's sweet that is Andy ...

..is that pearlescent paint too !

When you doing the Herbie stripes ;)

hilly

Yes it is pearlescent - not my cup of tea!! Nearly swayed me against having it, but I thought if I don't wash it maybe you won't see it!!

I got offered a Herbie, but not for me :p

Sorry I didn';t take you along, but it was down in Bournemouth, and I went on a weekday :msn4:

I think US 68's are upright headlamps, and the UK retained slopers for that year .... I could be wrong though.

Latest posts