Bypass ignition switch with a button

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcfmonkey

Reaction score
After years of starting issues I've narrowed the problem down to a dodgy ignition switch, I can turn the key and get dash lights but when I give it a quarter turn to start the engine I get nothing. Sometimes a thump to the steering housing will work but it's too hit and miss to rely on.
As a short term fix would it be possible to run wires from the starter motor to a toggle switch on the dash which I could use to activate the starter?
If so which starter terminals would I need to connect to?
Cheers
Monkey

Start off with the fact that I’m the last person in this universe that you can rely on for electrical knowledge.
A known ‘thing’ with these beasties is they had no idea they were gonna still be around in fifty plus years :cool:
The ignition switch is a weak point but only because the power has so far to come from the battery to the ignition then back again and after some time it gives up as you have experienced. Your ignition is just a switch as you’ve already pointed out but running wires up and down could be done but it don’t look like a good idea. A starter relay between the battery and the starter is the easy answer, sometimes known as a hot start relay and then you’d be able to use a regular switch until you sort out your ignition. It also sounds like a lot less work. There’s a zilliion videos on youy tube about fitting this. It’ll save you a hundred quid in copper cables too. Just be extra sure of your steering lock too, easy accident to have if you’ve still got one.:rolleyes:

Ozziedog',,,,,,,,,,, great mod too.:)

Best thing or what I did anyway was I removed the complete steering lock and ignition. I just put a USB where it used to go and put a ignition switch on the dash, quite simple wiring. Some day I may reinstate it but something tells me I probably never will. The downside is you have no steering lock but they are useless anyway. Simpler just to put in a hot start relay and pull the relay when you go off somewhere.

Cheers for the replies! I've had a hot start relay fitted for a while now, in fact replacing the first one was part of the process of elimination to get to where I am now!
Do I need to ruin wires off the starter motor or just fiddle about with what's already up front?

Just come off what you have. On my bus I have put relays in to take the load and volt drop off the starter switch and also the ign feed (but the ign feed needs 2relays if you have alternator to stop feed back)

Here are two more pics. ~One of an actual kit and the other of circuit

Attachments

• 897886.jpg
    897886.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 897885.jpg
    897885.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
When I was fault finding and the starter would intermittently work I ran a wire from the starter solenoid terminal into the engine bay , if the starter didn’t turn in
The ignition I put the wire in the battery, started every time which discounted the starter , I had a spare ignition I could plug in , fitted a new ignition but the hit start relay fixed it in the end although I think the ignition switch was faulty too

On my 3rd pattern ignition switch so after a rewire everything works off the ignition switch via relays that are on a board in the engine bay. Needed a double pole relay up front to stop the alternator warning light back feeding and holding the relay on that fed coil. Easy I say but then I have just rejigged an Omega loom to fit my 51 Austin hot rod, fuel injection, ABS, leccy windows and central locking.

I had a similar problem which a hot start relay didn’t solve. Many years ago when the van wouldn’t start on the ignition whilst on holiday in Dorset, the breakdown guy wired in a failsafe circuit in the engine bay operated by turning on the ignition, running round to the back and inserting a fuse in the circuit. When I got home I extended the wires to the cab and installed a press button starter switch under the dash which still works today. I suppose I could replace the ignition switch but I kinda like the setup now

Latest posts