C V joints

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubaroo

Reaction score
hi, I have all cv joints off and cleaned, just wondering how much wear is acceptable before they need replacing.

As long as there’s no burn marks or damage on the cleaned parts and you haven’t heard any rumbling coming from them they should be ok.
Why did you take them off ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

couple of reasons for taking them off, started to get a clicking on left corners/turns, and MOT man pointed out damage/ deterioration of the boots.
there are some noticeable grooves on some surfaces, general shiny patches on others.

dubaroo said:
couple of reasons for taking them off, started to get a clicking on left corners/turns, and MOT man pointed out damage/ deterioration of the boots.
there are some noticeable grooves on some surfaces, general shiny patches on others.
Sounds like damp or dirt may have entered the cv joint and caused damage to the bearings. When I removed mine a while ago the OG cv joint on one side had no noticeable damage at all.

I think the same as you, over time dirt etc. has got in. On closer inspection I think one of the four is Ok, but For peace of mind I think i will change them all, need to decide which are the best quality, heard differing stories of different makes.

Best ones are Lobro which is the OEM. But I got mine last year from Schofields which are made up complete with the cv joints and axle [emoji3]

Latest posts