camper Insulation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullio

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a insulation product for a bay camper? where can i get hold of some??

I got 3 rolls of Rockwall at an orange DIY chain for £3.50 not long ago so used that. To be fair the original rockwall was still in good condition so didn't hesitate to use some more and it's v light.

Just

Hi and welcome to earlybay!,
The mods will prob stick this in technical bud as you will have better response, theres loads of threads in search option to browse through however most peeps tend to use the bubble foil stuff from b@q and the like and 25mm celotex slabs, i wont use fibre wool as its absorbent.
:D hope that helps.

chippi said:
Hi and welcome to earlybay!,
The mods will prob stick this in technical bud as you will have better response, theres loads of threads in search option to browse through however most peeps tend to use the bubble foil stuff from b@q and the like and 25mm celotex slabs, i wont use fibre wool as its absorbent.
:D hope that helps.

Hopefully before u put it in you would have made sure the waters not getting in thru your seals whatever u use ;)

Just

Its the Condensation , buses and heavy breathing after a night on the show beer :D equals a damp mix.

chippi said:
Its the Condensation , buses and heavy breathing after a night on the show beer :D equals a damp mix.

In more ways then one by the sounds of it :lol:

Just

I may have mentioned this before ,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,

H eating
I nsulation
V entilation
E xcessive moisture

HIVE, that is the key to it all, it`s a fine balancing act but it`s almost like tuning your bus motor, if any one of these is too much or too little then you can and will get condensation. The more the temperature drops,, :msn4: the more fine tuning is required :shock: Hence the very little condensation formed in busses in warm weather and countries. Don`t confuse condendsation with induced vapour ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Guess how much insulation I got ???? None :lol: :shock: :lol:

Ozziedog wrote:
Don`t confuse condendsation with induced vapour

Good advice as always, thanks.

My bus is in for resto at the mo, but when I stripped her out there was some thin, say 5mm, polystyrene sheeting in the cavities, especially behind the front panel. Is this original do you reckon and if so, is it a 'safe' bet to provide trouble-free insulation? Or is the only safe bet the 'no insulation' option? :(

if you drink enough you can leave your sliding door open with no heating in - condition and sleep quite comfortably on top of your sleeping bag. this theory was tested in Folkstone before Ninove last year. having a frost on you when you wake up was new experience. I think :? there was no "interment heating" as it was 3 blokes :shock: :msn4:

I used some really expensive rubber stuff that you peeled the back off, took every panel cover off and stuck it everywhere, when i went camping with the wife and kids (therefore no hanky panky and all door closed :lol: ) I still had no heater / heating and all the insulation made no difference, it was just as cold. So does it really work ?

dubscum said:
if you drink enough you can leave your sliding door open with no heating in - condition and sleep quite comfortably on top of your sleeping bag. this theory was tested in Folkstone before Ninove last year. having a frost on you when you wake up was new experience. I think :? there was no "interment heating" as it was 3 blokes :shock: :msn4:

I used some really expensive rubber stuff that you peeled the back off, took every panel cover off and stuck it everywhere, when i went camping with the wife and kids (therefore no hanky panky and all door closed :lol: ) I still had no heater / heating and all the insulation made no difference, it was just as cold. So does it really work ?

Not really, you still got single panes of glass that cover a third of the surface area of the bus (and I've got a 6' x 3'6" hole in the roof as well). The only difference I've found after stuffing my bus' cavities with celotex, and carrying out vigorous research camping all year round for the past 2 1/2 years is that I don't have to turn the sounds up as loud when driving.....

sparkywig said:
dubscum said:

Not really, you still got single panes of glass that cover a third of the surface area of the bus (and I've got a 6' x 3'6" hole in the roof as well). The only difference I've found after stuffing my bus' cavities with celotex, and carrying out vigorous research camping all year round for the past 2 1/2 years is that I don't have to turn the sounds up as loud when driving.....

I was gonna mention the sound but thought i might get shouted down. That was the only good difference I found

This is what everyone in Australia is using for insulation. I realise it's a different climate and the product claims it is for keeping heat out, but it is also great for keeping heat in and sound deadening. Not cheap though but the best stuff going around in my opinion.

http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_introduction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thats what i used but managed to buy a roll off a mate that he had sat in his garage for next to nowt,

I would not buy it at shop price it didn't make enough difference, buy a propex heater instead and turn your radio up. Just my opinion

As with insulating anything, the more insulation you got, the more benefit you`ll get. Remember also that heat rises so the roof and window surrounds are at a premium but the more you can insulate and I include windows and pop top in that because that`s the stuff that`ll be higher than you. Where the actual point is where you`ll feel the benefit is though is anyones guess. The heat / warmth will always take the easy route and if you have more uninsulated area than insulated area then I guess the benefits will be minimal as in a canvas sided pop top and thin curtains or a soft top versus an insulated everywhere including the windows type set up. Imagine a tent made of 50mm celotex inside of your bus with no window cut outs, now that would be substantially warmer then every bit of it you remove,,,, windows etc it will be cooler. One of the benefits should also be keeping that warm moist air off of your precious metal :mrgreen: Also you do need some ventilation because of the sweaty oiks syndrome :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Only got none cause I ain`t got to that part of the list yet :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Also you do need some ventilation because of the sweaty oiks syndrome :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Only got none cause I ain`t got to that part of the list yet :mrgreen:

Gonna have to clarify this one for us foreigners :?

You don`t need ventilation in a bus at all unless you add people, once sweaty people are put in, that`s when the problems begin, sweating and breathing and moisturising the air, no people = low condensation :mrgreen:
The lack of insulation on my bus is directly attributed to the fact that I have still got the odd panel or two to weld / cut / replace / paint yet :lol: and my interior consists of one double bed and a rather large cool box, oh and a radio :lol: I`ll get the worst of the bodywork sorted before I sort the inside I reckon. The interior is something I`m looking forward too, maybe because it`s a long way off, I try to keep him rolling :mrgreen:

100_2773.jpg

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, What else do you need :mrgreen:

HMMMMmmm, rhymes with Nelson Mandela ???? I`ll have to think about that one :? :? :? No I don`t get it , it`s too hard, it`s way too deep for me. A bit like my cool box :lol: full of icy cold ,,,,,,,,, you got it `STELLA !!! '
That is actually the Ozziedog cool box custom made and built inside that trunk in the back of the bus. Reports are that it works fantastic, ,,,,,,,,,, Any body here ever sampled anything from ^^^^ this cool box ??? The reason it works so well funnily enough,, is it`s extremely well insulated, cold beers inserted in box on Friday Morning prior to show are still icy on a Monday, but only if there`s any left :mrgreen: I tend to take way too much beer to shows, but (A) You wouldn`t want a warm one would ya ?? and (B) you wouldn`t want to run out would ya ?? :shock: :shock: :shock: Cast that thought aside as it`ll never happen . :mrgreen: Insulation tends to work in both parameters as it`s a barrier between two temperature differences, they will always even out eventually but the better the insulation the better the barrier and the better that is then the slower the heat transfer or equalisation. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, So that`s why it`s important ! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Latest posts