camper Insulation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Have a look at my thread for how i have gone about with my soundproofing and insulation.

Valid point about the rockwool, but as you can see from my pictures on my thread, the og rockwool hasn't caused any rot in over 40 years of camping, so doubt it will now, i reckon the application of the soundproofing will give a additional insulation benefit as this is direct on the metalwork, less likely to have a very cold outer skin, and with the additional insulation fitted above this, i think it's unlikely to start going rotten, my window seals are good, and i think condensation is very unlikely.

Come back in 40 years and we'll see if it's gone rotten yet!

Cheers!

Alistair

Not really, you still got single panes of glass that cover a third of the surface area of the bus (and I've got a 6' x 3'6" hole in the roof as well). The only difference I've found after stuffing my bus' cavities with celotex, and carrying out vigorous research camping all year round for the past 2 1/2 years is that I don't have to turn the sounds up as loud when driving.....

That's exactly my thoughts, we all haven't got late bays with double glazed windows, though thick curtains will minimise any thermal heat loss, and i'm sure the westy roof could be made much more insulated with a little work.

I was thinking that a alloy frame similar to the westy mozzy mesh, may be made with a thin perspex sheet to act like a additional glazed panel, wouldn't be too hard to make, could be fixed with small strong magnets, and a thin foam seal around the edge like draft excluder and seal it. Hmm, may look into this idea.......

My main criteria was to reduce the overall noise of the bus when driving, insulation and soundproofing are very different animals. Though my application was done on a budget, the rock wood was near as damit free, i have 3 big rolls bought for 3 quid when they were on offer at B+Q, the soundproofing is Screwfix flashing, similar to the Dymamat and others, but thinner, cheaper, and to be honest why do you need to spend 100's on real expensive stuff in a bus, it's really not going to make it that quite, and my doors and panels have a reassuringly heavy thunk to them, with little drumming of the panels, and the tinny sound has gone, this was before the insulation was added.

Poor fitting or worn out seals on the doors etc make a difference too. I intend to soundproof under the seats and the rock and roll bed and then get the propex fitted. Toasty as!

Cheers!

Alistair

dubscum said:
sparkywig said:
dubscum said:
if you drink enough you can leave your sliding door open with no heating in - condition and sleep quite comfortably on top of your sleeping bag. this theory was tested in Folkstone before Ninove last year. having a frost on you when you wake up was new experience. I think :? there was no "interment heating" as it was 3 blokes :shock: :msn4:

I used some really expensive rubber stuff that you peeled the back off, took every panel cover off and stuck it everywhere, when i went camping with the wife and kids (therefore no hanky panky and all door closed :lol: ) I still had no heater / heating and all the insulation made no difference, it was just as cold. So does it really work ?

Not really, you still got single panes of glass that cover a third of the surface area of the bus (and I've got a 6' x 3'6" hole in the roof as well). The only difference I've found after stuffing my bus' cavities with celotex, and carrying out vigorous research camping all year round for the past 2 1/2 years is that I don't have to turn the sounds up as loud when driving.....

I was gonna mention the sound but thought i might get shouted down. That was the only good difference I found

Ahh - - some refreshing honesty :lol:

Funny just replied to another thread with the same question...anyone would think it's cold or something! :)

For sound proofing I used Dynamat, works a treat especially in the cab. If you have a decent sound system it's totally worth it...like night and day. Best price is if you buy the "bulk kits" which you can get on ebay.

For thermal insulation I used the foil lined bubble type. Doesn't retain water and is very light and not expensive. Got it from west country campers, they have an ebay store and were great to deal with: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/westcountry-campervans?_trksid=p4340.l2563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he also sells a high density foam that you can use to accompany the dynamat, works great for breaking up road noise.

Hope that helps!

i'll be using sheepswool for my bus. And NO !!! its not from one of my lady Friends. I like them un-shaved Boyo!!!

Interesting replys there and some good sense too!

I went down the route of soundproofing with dynamat rip off (silent coat) and celotex,
There is a marked improvement on the quietness of the ride! very impressed with that side of things, but i havent noticed too much difference with the insualation tbh, but its not exactly heavy!
Heres a few pics, (i also put a 'vapour' barrier over the top to stop any moisture creeping thought to the bodywork)

IMAG0358-1.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0359.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

i actually removed some from the rear of the roof, as having a poptop it didnt really help apart from adding weight!

I've used:
bitumen based flashing tape for sound proofing. You only need an amount of the surface area (25% i think) you want to cover as it's preventing vibrations

on top of that I've then used reimo xtreme http://www.reimo.com/en/M50015-reimo_x_treme_insulator/ but that seems to be the same as a much cheaper camping matt roll which I've also used.

then on top of that used closed cell foil insulation from a diy store.

haven't quite finished yet. Suggest you use a decent adhesive such as a high temp rated one from 3M.

HTH

Latest posts