Camper Table

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob-stone

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im in the process of making a table for my van. Its going to be a one off made with resin and micro-machines.

Anyway, i need to see how you guys have mounted your tables. One leg, piano hinges, whatever....? Id like to see some pictures to help clarify my experiments.

Cheers.

So it's going to be loads of micro machines set in clear resin?

I like the sound of that. 8)

Make sure you show us pics.

(Sorry can't provide a table picture as I haven't got a van yet.)

Sounds cool dude 8)

Mine is a Dormobile original. so locks on to metal strip which is connected
on cupboards down the left and also has a metal leg which then folds down to
the floor. (Probably no use to you at all............ :roll: )

R's

Mine is a Dormobile original. so locks on to metal strip which is connected
on cupboards down the left and also has a metal leg which then folds down to
the floor. (Probably no use to you at all............ )

i know what you mean. However, i dont have any furniture in my van.
Is the metal strip on the cupboards hinged? Or do you remove the whole table and store it away when not in use.

So it's going to be loads of micro machines set in clear resin?

correct :D
But i cant find my micromachines :cry: I ended up going shopping today and came back with some awesome hot-wheels. I also made some samples today, so watch this space.

One leg table is an easy option, when we make them at work we also make a storage slot in the unit behind the passenger seat back, same as a dormo.
Think you can buy the one leg bits from JK?

My missus thinks those new one leg table legs look like stripper poles....

I'm thinking of ditching the devon interior :twisted:

britains first mobile t*tt* bar?

(sorry laydees :oops: )

Here are a few samples,

This is the clear casting resin, with a small bottle of hardener. It smells like a mix between marker pen & filler, mmmmmmmmm :D
DSCF1083.jpg

I needed something to cast, so i spent a few quid on these...
DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

I spent ages in a toy shop sifting through a large box of hotwheels, hoping to find something VW related, however these are cool enough.

I found some small tupperware boxes i thought would be ideal for sample making. This is fresh out the mould,
DSCF1088.jpg

DSCF1090.jpg

The resin shrinks whilst it hardens. As you can see, it has almost 'sank' at the top, leaving me with a rough edge.
The good thing is, you can treat the hardened resin like body filler. After a quick going over with a file, followed by some wet & dry then T-cut. The sample began to look like this....
DSCF1091.jpg

For some reason its slightly cloudy. I think its due to the temperature whilst it was hardening. My previous sample (the toy soldier) has come out crystal clear. The only problem is, i mixed the resin with a dirty screwdriver and got some bits in it.
DSCF1095.jpg

Iv learned quite a bit about this product, next step will be to make my own larger molds

How do you stop the cars sinking to the bottom - or do they?

Yes, the objects would sink to the bottom. The mixture is only slightly thicker than water. I poured a thin layer first, waited for it to set slightly, then sat the car ontop and poured the remainder.
This stuff sets in about an hour, but it remains sticky (a bit like putty) It fully hardens in about 20 hours.

Its great stuff, and a great opertunity to tell people your off to the post office to pick up some resin :wink:

if you pour a layer let it set then put the car ontop and pur another layer it wont sink... but... will it look like it has a skin between the layers?

Where did you buy it from and how much was it?
I got the stuff off e-bay, it cost about about £16 in all. I have since found a cheaper place that supply the art department at work. There is also a place in manchester called Fred Aldous. Their price is a bit cheaper but im unsure of their deliver costs.

... but... will it look like it has a skin between the layers?
No there is no visable layer. As long as the first layer hasnt fully hardened (20+hours) you can pour a second layer and the two join perfectly.

i've got a table leg pole and the stand bits from jk new and i'm only in hinckley
I may be interested if its chrome, and depending on price of course :)

No more updates at the moment, sorry. I might have another go with it over the weekend tho.

Latest posts