Campervan in crisis!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or if your truly posh...A Bentley manual will serve you well....good luck with your project...maybe us Leeds lot should drive round to yours to add that extra motivation!

amazon was the cheapest place a while back. around £16 delivered.
it really is worth it :wink:

charity starts at home....I was thinking more you could look at the finished article....although mine is far from finished!

your bus will look great when its done. i payed 2300 for mine and ill end up replacing the same amount of metal as you guys. one hole or ten holes in an arch, its all the same. at least you know what your getting into. keep it up guys

having volksheaven almost on the doorstep is a pleasure, I used to live in donny and was there all the time getting bits for my first bus

good luck, and yes, it does look like it's smiling behind your gate :D

PS no help here, sorry :wink:

This is a fresh and inspiring thread. More power to yer grinding arm. I await the next installment with a mixture of fear (of what you might find) and anticipation. Blinding!

The good work (?) continues at a slightly slower pace due to the crap weather and the fact that we're stuck with working outside all the time!

First of all we now have a bit of a panel tacked on (initially) to plug one of our previously drastic looking holes...

tackside.jpg

Then it started to rain so we turned our attention to inside the bus. I fixed one of the louvre windows and took out the only bit of true interior that she came with (overhead locker at rear) whilst Bri the Butcher got his grinder out again!

I mentioned previously that when we took the belly pans of it didn't look that bad and I'm still sticking with this - just holes in the corners and the odd spot of superficial rusting. It's the holes that we've tackled next...

The rear wheel arches looked a bit cakky...

wheelarchbad.jpg

What's that hole for by the way? Hope it's not important as we've since got rid of it for good measure!

wheelarchsussed.jpg

And can anyone tell us why the driver's side is way more rusty than the passengers - all the way along the bus?

plugthemholzz.jpg

We seem to have to cut twice as much crap away from this side and it's a right old pain in the bum to replace!

wheelarchgood.jpg

Anywhoo... I also started on the engine bay with a wire brush. Not too bad - a little bit to replace and obviously the battery trays are shot. I painted the back wall with some rust treatment tar-like goo but am holding out to do the rest until the weather gets a little bit drier.

enginebay.jpg

Anyway, Brian cut some more bits of plate out whilst I cleaned the cab. Won't tell you about the state of some of the remaining footplate on the passenger's side just yet - I'm saving the tale of the cab until later:)

cutplate.jpg

Looks better for a quick brush up though...

bettercab.jpg

The bully of the aforementioned big blue bus is rightly impressed! This is her this morning...

bullyofthebus.jpg

And her with our old Beetle...

beetlebully.jpg

She loves all things Volkswagen but hasn't quite mastered the art of eating a whole one yet!

Anyway - lots more things to do. I'm hopefully going to be going to IKEA to get some suitably vile and revolting retro style fabric for the curtains - bit premature I know, but I thought I'd have a crack at making them now and if they're really good I shall be taking orders for the manufacture of more to help pay for a pair of Californian doors I'm waiting for from Volksheaven. There's method in me girlie madness and 10 % discount for earlybayers if all goes well!

Lots of other twiddley bits are on order or have recently arrived - nice cab mats and kick panels, vintage number plates, pool ball for the gear stick etc - well sad! Still haven't succumbed to the idea of having the suspension lowered yet (although at 5 foot 2 I'm somewhat vertically challenged and it would be practical to say the least). Just don't fancy eventually driving around in something that looks like a Dust Devil with wheels... :shock: :lol:

Cheers folks, Debby :)

Looks like your cracking on at a good pace - keep up the good work
and the piccies :wink: :)

nice work...I know a company in Leeds that is good with upholstery...I'm going to get them to do my seats and door cards. I saw a van he did recently and the work was very good for the price. Let me know if you want their details.

MMMC said:
nice work...I know a company in Leeds that is good with upholstery...I'm going to get them to do my seats and door cards. I saw a van he did recently and the work was very good for the price. Let me know if you want their details.

I'd be interested :D

It all slows down tomorrow I'm afraid - other half has to go to a job in Plymouth and I'm sowing curtains!

V. interested about upholstery bloke. What can he do if we haven't got ANY seats just yet but have very good intentions for the future? :lol:

Cheers for the jollying along from all interested EarlyBayers. We're getting there slowly but surely - she'll be knocking ya sideways this time next year I hope... Debby :)

PS Saw a happy little early bay in Wilkinson's car park, Armley, yesterday (a crossover I think?). Belong to anyone here? Bet it was one of you posh dudes buying sushi from Tesco's...

Latest posts