Can a bus run LPG?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaySundial

Reaction score
As per the title, can a bus run on LPG? I know it will need converting, does anyone have any experience?
Thank you.

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/features/theknowledge/214293/lpg_conversion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anything is possible - think it is about £1000 for all the kit

Yes mine runs on LPG. Seems to run smoother than on petrol as well!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Currently getting about 25mpg on longer runs. Works out as the equivalent of about 43mpg for the price of petrol 8) About the same as we average in our fiat 500 twinair :lol:

67westy said:
Currently getting about 25mpg on longer runs. Works out as the equivalent of about 43mpg for the price of petrol 8) About the same as we average in our fiat 500 twinair :lol:

Are you running twin carbs? What is your engine spec?
Thanks

Gary

Stock 1600TP at the moment. Been thinking about an engine rebuild next year and may go to twins then. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on twins

67westy said:
Yes mine runs on LPG. Seems to run smoother than on petrol as well!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Hey, did you do the conversion yourself? What kit did you use?
John Muir's bible version I hve has a note that he's working on a conversion guide, don't know if that ever was finished or not.
Any help would be great, especially with the much better mileage!

Cheers

Mine runs on twin kadrons 8)
Think im getting around 22mpg at mo, but not too bad at 75.9p a litre :D

My Dad did the install whilst I "helped" he's done a few in the past on more modern cars so it was relatively straight forward. Most of the kit came from tinley tech but I had to special order a small vertical toroidal tank from elsewhere to fit in the westy wardrobe it's about 45 litres if I remember correctly. The mixer that came with the kit was a waste of time and we couldn't get it working properly, always seemed too weak. Swapped that for a Blos carb and it's ran sweet as a nut ever since. I have some pictures of the install somewhere, could post them up on my gallery thread if anyone is interested.

hi - can I ask where you got the tank from? I have been after one of those vertical toroidal tanks for ages but Stako don't seem to make them anymore and I have been warned off other makes...

Steve at Gasure seems to be the VW aircooled LPG conversion guru but he won't deal with T///y tech and will only do cylindrical tanks e.g. under the bed - which won't fit in my Devon Devonette under the rear seat and I don't want to mess with the original furniture etc...

best
Rob

Going from memory here but I'm pretty sure it was a stako tank model number V58004612 or V60004712 I believe (can try and find the paperwork if you need more). The tank was ordered via http://www.lpg-cars.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I believe and was a special order so took a while to arrive. This fitted within the rear part of the westy wardrobe which hides it neatly away and looks stock apart from the filler!

67westy said:
My Dad did the install whilst I "helped" he's done a few in the past on more modern cars so it was relatively straight forward. Most of the kit came from tinley tech but I had to special order a small vertical toroidal tank from elsewhere to fit in the westy wardrobe it's about 45 litres if I remember correctly. The mixer that came with the kit was a waste of time and we couldn't get it working properly, always seemed too weak. Swapped that for a Blos carb and it's ran sweet as a nut ever since. I have some pictures of the install somewhere, could post them up on my gallery thread if anyone is interested.

Pictures would be great, could you put a link in this thread?
How long have you run on LPG?
Is it running hotter? any other observations?

Cheers

A

Apologies, forgot about this thread and I can't seem to find all the pics now. Thought I had a few of all through the install but no idea where they went. Here are some of the engine bay after it was first done (it's tidier now!)

Blos carb inline with air filter:

IMG_20110505_212023.jpg

Vaporiser and pipework:

IMG_20110505_212101.jpg

I have the fuel cut off solenoid on the LHS of the engine bay along with my electric fuel pump although I want to move these out of the engine bay eventually. LPG filler is just behind the wheel arch:

IMAG0285.jpg

And the tank is well hidden in the wardrobe, you can see the wooden mounting plate in this pic:

P1000011.jpg

Keeping the tank directly abover the vaporiser and having the filler below it as well kept the pipework to a minimum.

The van has been running on LPG since May 2011 so just over 18 months. It doesn't seem to run any hotter althought I don't have a temp gauge to take any accurate readings. The van runs better on LPG than on petrol, idles better and just seems smoother. The only thing I would say is that on the odd occasions I run on petrol I do notice a little more oomph up the hills. Whilst I've never really struggled up any hill with the LPG it does seem a little easier on petrol but I think that is to be expected.

If you have any more questions or want some more detailed pics then let me know!

Yup it is the exhaust probe. You need a long drill bit though to get through the baffles :) I read that you might not be able to start on LPG due to having no pre-heat but I've never struggled, started relatively easily from Feb-Oct. When it's colder it takes a little longer but always starts within a couple of turns

hi - have had my bus converted to lpg now - all seems fine except the engine won't idle or start on gas unless the air filter is removed - standard oil bath type just like yours - have you had any probs with airflow in your system? my system has the gas injection via a ring manifold sat on top of the carb.

cheers
Rob

Initially my system had the ring sat in line with the air filter intake pipe. This didn't work well which is why I swapped to the blos carb. Problems sound very similar to what you had, I found that cable tying the flap on the air filter in the up position allowed it to work ok. I'd recommend the blos if you can find one though, had no problems at all with it