can anyone tell me if my engine is screwed!!!!!!!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly head

Reaction score
as this is my first aircooled i am hoping this is just an engine quirk but i am pretty sure it isnt so was wondering if anyone can comment.

in my way back from a nice relaxed weekend in wells next the sea i stopped near my house for some fuel (about 2 hours away) and the engine sounded like it was running a tad rough on tickover, 3 cylinders i assume. when the revs were raised slightly it cleared and seemed fine, however, a small amount of dark smoke was being chuffed out of the exhaust!!!!

i had been sitting at about a true 60mph (courtesy of tomtom) for about a hour or so hence the engine was quite hot. the annoying thing is this was my first true trip out in the van since being restored and was freshly serviced, new plugs, oil etc..

its a 1679 conversion running twin 34's.

i am due to drive to italy in about 3 weeks with wife and newborn so am now shitting myself as not sure whether its going to get me there and back.

any comments welcome :roll:

smoke with a blueish hue is usually burning oil, dark smoke would most like mean its running too rich. Running rough on tickover but ok when revved also points to this. I think you may need the carbs re-adjusted?

johnny

thanks for your reply.

i checked my oil last night and it is still where it was about 300 miles ago so good news there, cant be burning any.

when i started the bus there was no smoke at all, abeit blue or black and it ticked over fine once warmed up for a few minutes.

i think you are dead right in saying its running rich as my mpg is quite poor, around 25 mpg.

i think for the purpose of my trip i am going to fit new plugs and buy a couple of spare ht leads just in case. instead of leaning the carbs i think i will just leave it as it is :msn4: i would prob turn the wrong screw :lol:

i appreciated your help, cheers.

its better to err on the rich side than lean as you will overheat badly if leaned out too much.

... but too rich and the fuel will clean the oil off the cyls and increase wear!

anyhoo just a thought are your carbs the sort that have breathers on? could it be that some oil has got into the carbs if that the case!

curly head said:
i think you are dead right in saying its running rich as my mpg is quite poor, around 25 mpg.
I dream of getting 25 MPG :lol:. I've also got engine problems...new engine too. On a run from Kent to Devon I got 16 MPG :?. The engine is still under warranty so it might be the the pants MPG is a consequence of the engine problems.

25mpg :!: :!: :!:

as Baldrick says Your one lucky guy if you're getting that, on recent trip to scotland and keeping at reasonable 55 to 60 mph we were doing 20mpg (1700 with twin 34 webbers) we thought that was good :D

Pickles said:
25mpg :!: :!: :!:

as Baldrick says Your one lucky guy if you're getting that, on recent trip to scotland and keeping at reasonable 55 to 60 mph we were doing 20mpg (1700 with twin 34 webbers) we thought that was good :D

At 55 - 60 mph 20 mpg is low. If it were mine I would investigate further. It should be capable of 25 or more (unless you were very heavily laden with a big roofrack on top)

Trikky2 said:
At 55 - 60 mph 20 mpg is low. If it were mine I would investigate further. It should be capable of 25 or more (unless you were very heavily laden with a big roofrack on top)

Do you think so :eek: ... the engine is probably a few years old ... not sure what there is to check

Does have a full Westy interior and we had all our kit for a fortnights hols

against Baldricks 16mpg mines doing 25% better :)

Pickles said:
I'm glad I can make you feel better. When the engine died and the van had to be trailered from Devon to Kent (about 300 miles) I did think about the money it would save me in fuel.

Apparently if I hadn't had roadside assistance it would have cost over £500 to have it recovered. I think this is the first time I've got my insurance premium back.

Baldrick said:
Pickles said:
I'm glad I can make you feel better.

Yep needed that ... what a miserable weekend had been planning on a couple of nights down in the New Forest but the weather forecast and a sick little boy :( (he seems on road to recovery now) meant we stayed at home .

curly head said:
its a 1679 conversion

This could well be your problem. Original 1584cc barrels (nice thick walls) are machined out to make 1641cc and machining even more out makes 1679cc. The cylinder walls on a 1679 are really then too thin and what happens is the cylinder becomes oval due to massive heat build up resulting in your round pistons not fitting snuggly, reducing compression and letting oil past the rings.

1679cc is just not a good idea, especially in a bus where it needs to work harder.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Latest posts