Cant flash!......Can flash!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1970Deluxe

Reaction score
Sorting the lights out ready for mot next month and have an issue on my bus(1970 lhd bay)
If the lights are on and you pull the column switch back it goes to main beam and the blue light illuminates on the dash display,but if the lights are off and you pull the stalk back theres no flash.Makes it a bit of a pain when a fellow bus approach's!
Do they suffer with worn contacts in the switch before i start pulling it to bits and firing up the power probe

Is it a U. S. one by any chance ??? I beleive they have a slightly different setup which dosen`t incorporate a flash as we have them, or so i have been led to beleive, :?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, :msn4:

Thats right. I asked The auto electrician who has just been through my 71 california bus about this. He had a look and he said there is no flash. He rewired it to flash in about 5 mins. No idea how though.

You need one of these: http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.product_pID_59778_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then run an additional live feed to the relay, think it goes to terminal 30 on the relay.

Cheers fella's....saved me stripping the switch down.Will get on the case with a relay :D

ozziedog said:
Is it a U. S. one by any chance ??? I beleive they have a slightly different setup which dosen`t incorporate a flash as we have them, or so i have been led to beleive, :?

Tis true they don't :(

Karl

Westy Richardson said:
ozziedog said:

Karl

yep - though doesn't stop me from attempting to flash other buses :D - I must look like a right miserable git :lol:

lard said:
yep - though doesn't stop me from attempting to flash other buses :D - I must look like a right miserable git :lol:

Thats why I changed mine over, someone would flash me and I'd try to flash back, wonder why it isn't working and then remember. So then I go to wave and it's too late they've gone :lol:

lard said:
Westy Richardson said:
ozziedog said:

Karl

I bet you look really really miserable too,, :( if you`re any thing like me,, when something is expected to work, :) ,,and it doesn`t :( ,,, I would have a face like thunder,, and be looking directly at the offending article (light switch) and would really look like a miserable git who is ignoring another dub,, what we need is a 10 second warning of an oncoming dub,, or a something to wave for you (10 seconds after) when we`ve passed. Or perhaps, a windscreen sticker right across the top of the screen,,,,,,,,,,L.H.D. NO CAN FLASH DRIVER TOO DOPEY TO REMEMBER,,,,,,,, or something along those lines.. Any good ideas for a universal type of signal ???? Apart from the obvious archers signal :?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,Draining the last of the Stella :shock: :? :shock:

Similar problem with my 1970 yank........ Altho mine wont change from low to high beam. It did but now wont :( :( Also didnt realise that it doesnt flash till I read this.... so when Ive been flashing other busses like mad and they havent acknowledged they arent really stuck up bastards :oops: :oops: :oops:

AGC said:
Similar problem with my 1970 yank........ Altho mine wont change from low to high beam. It did but now wont :( :( Also didnt realise that it doesnt flash till I read this.... so when Ive been flashing other busses like mad and they havent acknowledged they arent really stuck up bastards :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ,,,,,,,,,,,,^^^,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

That`s made my morning,,, that really made me laugh, spill coffee, and almost choke, better clean up this keyboard then!

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, :lol: ;) :lol:

My 68 SA imports lights wouldn't flash either. I've just got them sorted and it didn't cost anything.

If you have the large metal headlight relay, take the cover off. Inside you will see a set of contacts that when the relay is energised do not make contact.
All that is required is to bend the contact arm so they meet when energised.

Now I can "Flash" other buses when I see them.

;) :D

dna said:
My 68 SA imports lights wouldn't flash either. I've just got them sorted and it didn't cost anything.

If you have the large metal headlight relay, take the cover off. Inside you will see a set of contacts that when the relay is energised do not make contact.
All that is required is to bend the contact arm so they meet when energised.

Now I can "Flash" other buses when I see them.

;) :D

any pics dude?

Right.....tried to modify the original relay but to no avail,so stumped up for a new "modern" relay(part num 0-728-02)
Made up 5 short jumper wires with male terminal on one end and femail on the other.Removed the standard tin relay and made a note of the pin numbers.On the original relay there are only 4 pins(the new relay has 5) but just a bit further along on the bottom of the fuse box is a pin 30 live terminal so this goes to the "extra" pin 30 terminal on the new relay.
Took about 20 mins in total and replaced a couple of loose terminals on the back of the fusebox which pulled off too easy when i flipped the fusebox over.
Any questions then dont hesitate to mail me as its really straight forward and so worth it once its done
020.jpg

021.jpg

one thing i forgot the pins are a straight swap over 56a on the old relay is 56a on the new one except F on the original one is 56b on the modern relay but you cant get it wrong once you've put the other 4 wires on
Gary

top work gary im on it at the weekend many thanks for the pics too , explains a lot
;)
nice one

chris

No worries mate...any probs just mail me and i'll get back to you.Make the 5 jumper wires up before hand and you'll have it done in 10 mins.
Good luck with the flashing :shock:

Here's some info from "the samba" on the relay you need. I'm sure there's more info if you have a bit search.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317402&highlight=headlight+flasher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts