Cargo floor support box sections, couple of questions..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yackaboo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just trying to plan ahead a bit, I am planning to replace the cargo floor soon, so may replace the support box sections underneath the floor as not sure of the condition they may be in, so the dumb question is.... the usual suppliers list two types, 'top hat section' and 'I' section, how may of each type would I need if I replace all of them??? (on a 1969 bay)

It looks like there should be the Top hat sections are fitted front and rear and the I sections are fitted between the front and rears is this right???

Cheers for any help.
Mike

Have you looked at VW Heritage website? The body panel/ chassis section has great schematics and descriptions of parts and lists quantity and placement on the van.

~As above and at a guess 3 of each. The front and rear two are top hats (where the outriggers/jacking points are), and I will guess 3 I sections inbetween those. If it's not 3 I sections, then it be 2.

I think :lol:

lilblue1970 said:
Have you looked at VW Heritage website? The body panel/ chassis section has great schematics and descriptions of parts and lists quantity and placement on the van.

1st rail is an I beam,

2nd,3rd and 4th are Top Hats

5th and 6th are Box

:mrgreen:

I must admit I've never done a cargo floor on a '69, so may be wrong, but the first support, i.e. at the front of the cargo floor would always be a top hat rather than an I beam because it needs to join to the outriggers and crossmember which an I beam can't do. The second and third supports are I beams, then a top hat for the forth, another top hat above the rear outrigger/jacking point/crossmember, and lastly the partially enclosed box section one which is really a top hat with a bottom on the middle bit between the chassis rails. You can use a top hat if you like. Vw dropped the box section and the I beams later on and just used Tophats.
By the way, no offence to Alex or heritage, I use them all the time and the staff are great, but the JK 'made in Britain' top hat in grey primer is much better quality than the one heritage stock which I think is made in South America. I get almost all my panels from heritage, apart from the Tophats:)

Here you go guys.

Four "Top Hat" sections, two "I Beams"

SAM_3777.jpg

Latest posts