Carport? Canopy, Cheap Shed? Help me keep my Bus dry!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghop99

Reaction score
Ok folks, so I am sick of seeing my bus rotting away on the drive. Just having a few bits done on it so want to protect my investment. Whats the most cost effective use of this space. My budget isnt huge (max a grand) so thought of a canopy/carport. Also thought about extending the shed but think this may be $$$$$$ Any ideas? what has anyone else done?

Oh and I cant do the work so am going to have to pay someone so if anyone is keen for a trip to Devon let me know.

ddee77dd.jpg

841d8ad5.jpg

Hi ghop99

Loads of room for a nice garage there!

However, on your budget you could try these http://www.protech-shelters.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there is even one called
a 'Dub Hut' with a Bay (albeit late) in one of the pictures!

There are loads more like it on the net just a question of finding one you like!

Hope this helps

I'd be thinking of a wooden pagola of sorts,wood= atractive,cheap & easy to work with! you could even grow a bit of ivy up it to keep the missus happy ;)

what doris said.
im wanting to do similar, you could bolt a wooden roof frame to them walls, persex roof.etc for a grand

Was going to suggest Protech shelters and they are only up the motorway in Bridgwater. Think a few people on here has got them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you think a canopy would keep it dry? Wouldn't it just whip under it? Would it ice up under there? Dumb questions I know but it would be just my luck to do the wrong thing. I do like the wood idea, I can see all the elderly neighbours getting arsey about a plastic air raid shelter!

Sorted
ddee77dd.jpg

posts 150x150, front beam 150x50 doubled up 150x50 single for side and 150x50 beam bolted to rear wall and side wall

125x50 rafters @ 400mm centres with 100x25 diagonal bracing underneath rafters , bitumen corrugated roof screwed down

everything treated timber and metal plates and hangers for fixing together.

I think i was bored when i did this for you but should help. ;)

Looks like you've got loads of room to throw a sectional garage up like these - http://www.comptonbuildings.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or check your local free ads for a used one ;)

Dont forget to consider planning restrictions. Likelyhood is that you'll be fine but worth checking your local rules, deeds and permitted development rights.

chippi said:
Sorted
ddee77dd.jpg

posts 150x150, front beam 150x50 doubled up 150x50 single for side and 150x50 beam bolted to rear wall and side wall

125x50 rafters @ 400mm centres with 100x25 diagonal bracing underneath rafters , bitumen corrugated roof screwed down

everything treated timber and metal plates and hangers for fixing together.

I think i was bored when i did this for you but should help. ;)

Far out chippi! thats good, when you coming! :lol: See your mind and my mind are two very different things, you see things like this clearly, I see panic!

Seriously.........anybody?

theres this

http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/store/customer/product.php?productid=16187#main" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; picture
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6x3m-EZ-Pop-Up-Party-Wedding-Tent-Gazebo-Canopy-Marquee_W0QQitemZ180461270516QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Garden_Structures_Fencing_CV?hash=item2a045475f4or" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this.

I was in the same situation when I found the bus wouldnt fit in the garage :( , so I built this !

Total cost was about £250 :D

64.jpg

Protech as mentioned, this was its 2nd winter, holding up pretty well, was supposed to be a tempary thing until i raised the garage door or lowerd (some more) the bus.

DSC00359.jpg

DSC00361.jpg

Just

Hi m8!

How about a marquee type thing http://www.galatent.co.uk/listing.asp?Category=GalaTentMarquees&SubCategory=GalaTentMarquee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheap and weather proof, a couple of ratchet straps over both ends to keep proper secure, and would get around planning permission as not a permanent structure (?) You can take it down in the summer and get your garden back for the BBQ........

Deffo a reasonable temporary solution don't you think, would have one myself but no space for me in our shared parking as you know. :roll:

Cheers!

Alistair

I think a carport is the best idea and the best option for keeping your bus in good condition.... a friend of mine who is in to Hot Rods and has spent an eye watering amount on paint jobs swears that a car port is better than a garage because the air can circulate and dry out a damp vehicle rather than confining the damp in the garage with the vehicle.

AGC said:
I think a carport is the best idea and the best option for keeping your bus in good condition.... a friend of mine who is in to Hot Rods and has spent an eye watering amount on paint jobs swears that a car port is better than a garage because the air can circulate and dry out a damp vehicle rather than confining the damp in the garage with the vehicle.

yeah, makes sense really. I was told never drive your car into the garage and leave it when its been raining - wet car + warm engine = heats the garage up = warm moist air trapped in a confined space = rusty car,extreme I know but there is a point :shock:

Latest posts