Click click click

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niklee1

Reaction score
Hi All
I have an issue with my bus if any one can help out I would really appreciate the advice.

When trying to start the bus there is a click on turning the key, this happens most of the time. When it does I have to hand turn the engine via the dynamo pulley and then it will fire.

I have got new starter motor/dynamo/carbs/coil/dizzy/re-con engine...etc but it still does this?!?!?!

I have checked the all the electrical items and have good shiny connections. Is there anything like ring gear that could be causing this?

:(

Sounds like it could be volts drop. The click is the starter solenoid moving... but not enough to make contact and power it. Easy way to check is to CAREFULLY touch the small terminal on the starter (making sure it's out of gear etc) with a wire connected to the positive terminal of the battery. If starter turns then you know what the problem is. Rather than chasing through the loom and switchgear you can use a normal 12v relay to switch the starter.

Also worth checking you have 2 earth cables from engine to bodywirk

When the engine does turn (after you moved it along with the dynamo pulley) does it spin quickly or lope over, slowing considerably each time the compression builds up? As 72baywesty says it sounds like voltage drop or a poor earth.
Mine was doing this and it turned out to be a HR joint in the starter motor (the big earth strap had come unsoldered just inside the rear cap) so worth considering that also.

Thanks guys

72baywesty - I thought it might be a voltage drop as when I connected a voltmeter to the wire from the ignition switch it was very low (0.62v) then checked after a coffee then it was higher (8.5ish V I think). I changed the starter today and it was still clicking but when hand turned it zipped round and started.

I couldn't access the ignition switch as the steering column cowling screws were cross-threaded?!?!

If that is the case, sorry for being a dummy, but how would I use a 12v relay to resolve this? And where would the two earth straps be?

Zcat7 - It whizzes round as it's a new starter fitted today. It shouldn't be the HR joint as it is new...or could it still be this?

Where apart from the main battery to body earth strap would it be?

Thanks guys I really appreciate the comments/help.

There's a large earth strap from the gearbox mount to the body and this can corrode causing a High Resistance (HR) joint. It provides earthing continuity across the rubber engine/gearbox mounts and hence to the starter motor.
Shouldn't be the starter internal connection and probably isn't but could be! ;)

Zcat7 said:
There's a large earth strap from the gearbox mount to the body and this can corrode causing a High Resistance (HR) joint. It provides earthing continuity across the rubber engine/gearbox mounts and hence to the starter motor.
Shouldn't be the starter internal connection and probably isn't but could be! ;)

Ok thanks I'll check this out as I didn't know there was one there.

Appreciate the help.

Hi
Relay is easy explaining how is a pain if you let me gave your no I ll give you a call and talk you through it

Cheers

72baywesty said:
Hi
Relay is easy explaining how is a pain if you let me gave your no I ll give you a call and talk you through it

Cheers

Cool thanks I am out for the day so give me a call tonight that would be great.

Nik
0778 449 2053

Latest posts