Clunk rattle, a Canadian crossover.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snow_pikey

Reaction score
Hello my name is Matt,

I'm a Brit abroad living in the Canadian Rockies, just dragged this (only just) early Bay back from Kelowna on a 1000+km round trip...
thats about 600miles in old money.

An unrestored 1972 Westy, totally stock!

Still figuring out my plan of attack, she starts stopss and steers but I think needs at least a set of rings. I'll have to dive deeper into the project to be sure but I can smell the oil burning.

I got the old girl in the workshop for a bit of a check over before I put her in for the Canadian equivalent of an MOT.

Looking GOOD!! :D

The worst of the rust......

And the rest is surface rust 8)

Probably the best VW I managed to score to date!! :D :D

Here's a few Pic's of the inside...

There's a few rips but nothing major and I've got Old Skool parcel shelfs :cool:

The wood headliner is mint!

You Lucky lucky man!!!!!!
Really nice find there, keeper for sure.Have fun with the build.

J & P
:D :D :D

Cheers :)

Worked a couple of late nights and made some progress, finished the following jobs:

CV Boots
Brake Shoes n Pads
Rear wheel Cylinders
Brake hoses
X4 coilover shocks
Plugs, leads, points, timing etc
Valve adjust
Oil, filters etc
Sorted out the lights
Fresh gearbox oil
And probably a few other things along with getting my friends 1979 Chevy Vandura on the road as well.

The shocks lifted the Bus over an inch all round which should make needed room for my bigger AT tyres which turn up from the states in 3weeks and counting....

The shocks are EMPI and I'm sure they started to rust before I even took them out the box, I think the saying is chrome won't get you home but it drives pretty nice with them on.

I used beetle rears on the front and long travel Baywindow ones on the back.

Annoyingly one of the upper bolts snapped off which was a bitch to drill out and rethread, making sure not to put a hole in the tank.

The rear tyre now nearly clears the flat rear arch :D

still lots of height and I have a full Westy interior.

Really nice van and your making quick progress. I also like the truck you towed it with.

Did you punt clamps on the CV boots? I don't see any and I would use them or you'll loose the grease.
Personally I try to stay away from Empi parts as much as I can. They haven't exactly proved to be good quality to me.

Yep clipped up, was working to get the Bus ready for a trip but she defo needs and engine (or rebuild)

I went for the first good drive and smoke (when hot) came blowing out the breather with oil :(

Been busy this week with a couple of other things.....

Started work on a CUMMINS 6cylinder turbo diesel for a customer which is going in an old chevy suburban it's been fun!

Had a parts van roll through and got a few bits including a W-code 914 engine which ALSO needs work, see how that goes gonna pull the heads off and take a peak.

Tonight I worked on my 1958 Bug.

A few weeks ago I dropped a second hand 1600cc engine out of a 1978 injection Bug and I topped it with dual carbs.

I modified the tin and fitted a 6volt flywheel so I could still run my split case tranny, then it had an odd alternator which needed a voltage regulator.

Engine ran great, I found a way to fit it up with a 70's ford VR unit, got it all in tonight ran it up again and the F@*king engine seized on me! a bad week to be a VW fan, gotta keep the faith.

Scored a 2.0L TYPE4 engine today :D

A new recon a guy brought for a 356 replica but never used I got it for less than half price it runs higher compression and has bigger valves.

Even though I scored the recon engine I spent some time today looking at the spare engine that came out of the orange parts van.

Turns out it is out of a 1971 Porsche 914, now I know Porsche put a VW engine in their car not the other way round and no I'm not going down the pub to say I have a Porsche engine in my Bus but it was fun to strip down.

I know very little about TYPE IV engines and its good to learn new stuff, It's all very familiar and different at the same time.

I'm going to rebuild this at a later date, I was told the heads were knackered but the rear studs on both sides had loose nuts.

Lots of good parts to clean up later think I will rebuild this genuine Weber carb for my new engine, sadly the thermostat is only half working. I need one for mine, might try a bug one.

Not much progress....

I pulled the old engine Sunday, now I need to find time between everything else to strip n clean the tin and build up the new block ready to drop in the empty hole.

The old engine was kinda rank :sick0006:

Winters coming and there's snow on the mountains already so I need to get a wiggle on!

Got the tyres off the rims and the rims painted last night.

It's been a while since I handballed some tyres on and off but it was just like riding a bike. I can thank my Dad for teaching me how.

Struggled to break the bead, ended up using a bottle jack under an Ford F550 then fitted the new tyres today at lunch :D

I decided to put the white letters on the inside.

Really grad I brought five tyres so I could put one on the front.

And here it is.....

Cheers man! yep the plan is to go on many adventures here in the Rockies.

Been chipping away at the boring tedious stuff, all the old tin's off the knackered engine and started cleaning it ready for the new engine.

Borrowed the use of a parts cleaning tank, thought I'd get all 4 crates cleaned tonight but only managed about 30 odd pieces in 3hrs.

Finally got the new engine on the stand and a crappy coat of paint on the tin to brighten it up.

I'm going to try and put the engine together tomorrow, would really like to be driving my bus again next week :)

Latest posts