Clunk rattle, a Canadian crossover.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snow_pikey said:
Had the first box of parts arrive today :D

I also ordered a set of five tyres.....

Lovely bus, like it a lot! Tyre's look great, are they taller than stock? Would they fit on stock height '70 without rubbing do you think?

Watching this thread!

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks man, think they'd fit but let me take mine for a drive when I get the engine in and give you a real appraisal.

Here is an idea of what the difference is, check out the link:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=185-75r14-27-8.5r14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got a bit more done on the Bus tonight and by a bit, only a little bit...

Fitted the seal to the oil cooler, nearly for got it.... what a bugger to fit in place.

Next job the heat exchangers, I cleaned up the two pairs that I have, neither are ok but I think I can make a good pair out of them all.

Nice! Handy link that one! Playing around with the number's, a 32" tyre looks like fun!

Would be interesting to see how you get on with those, tempted to change, but undecided on 14 or 15" wheels. Was thinking about some tatty chrome 356 repro wheels, powdercoated, but need to get my head around offset and width on a stock bus...

Looking forward to your progress, I enjoyed your last thread with your other bus when you went to the Artic Circle Iirc?

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,

Not sure if you have visited this site before? kinda old but some good info.... and talk about gearing think you need a V8 to run 32's, would be pretty crazy though.

http://www.baja.org/kombi/bustech.htm#wheels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also look up off road mod's for Buses on the samba there's a good thread.

I'm so close to putting my engine in, finished off making "new" heat exchangers last night.

Then I set them on fire to get the worst of the oil and crud out which was fun and stunk! which was a good last minute late night idea but better than filling the cab with fumes.

Another stunning day in the mountains.

Slapped my engine in last night, what a bugger to get in and lined up.

Connected it tonight and she now runs!!!

Tuned up the old girl Saturday and went for my first proper drive today.

Think I have an air leak from the intake to the servo, brakes are great but there's a bit of a flat spot gonna replace the hoses and with it plugged bus idles better and no flat spot.

It was a wet first trip out, rained the whole time from Canmore to Banff to Lake Louise, Moraine Lake. We spent a couple of hours hiking up to Larch Valley, then the drive back. Over 100miles, ready for her first oil change.

Thanks Paul, out driving as much as possible, getting her all sorted before the snow hits.

Scored a FREE! engine n gearbox this week :D its an AW code 1800cc FI engine which I will pull some parts off and pass on.

(not seized oil clean)

The gearbox is a CM code which is a bit higher geared than mine so I plan to clean, reseal it and pop it in at a later date, would love to fit a LSD in it.

Tyres are great no rubbing or extra noise.

Snow came to town! it's been creeping down the valley for a month or more.

Ordered up and started fitting my new screen, the other had a crack and the seal leaked pretty bad, so bad it filled the relays with water.

I went down the deluxe seal route and it's gonna look ace but what a pain. I'll slowly make my way round the Bus and deluxe the bus up.

Under the screen was better than expected only a small hole. I used rust converter paint to make it last a little longer.

I used the cushion as a make shift soft bench.

Used a bit of love lube to get the window in.

Will finish off tomorrow.

Awesome looking bus dude. I Love it. What a view you got! Never a chore commuting to work looking at that!

Loved the article on your old bus in Hayburner. My mate Mark bought it. Its Still looking good and he loves it.

Thanks guys!

Glad Mark is still loving Missy, defiantly the nicest bus I've owned and probably will ever own :D

never seen anyone rope in american style chrome in the rubber on a bus before i usually just thumb it in. i've used the por15 patch, it's a real thick por15, for the little holes works great drys solid as a rock.

Cheers,

I've never fitted deluxe trim before it made sense to rope it in but maybe I was making work... went in easy though.

Been a snowy week here in Canmore AB. The roads have been terrible even snow plows have been crashing. We had a couple of feet over night and more on the daily, I can report that my bus and new tyres have been great!! :D

I've been reading up on limited slip diff's as one would be handy (but expensive) and someone had written about pulling your handbrake half on in your bus to trick the diff and make both wheels turn. I've been using this to get out of holes in the snow all week and it works a treat.

I drove some 70mile round trips in the snow this weekend to go Backcountry Skiing and the bus has been a champ.

Although I really should fix the washers so I don't have to get out and throw snow at the window to clean it off.

Latest posts