Clunk rattle, a Canadian crossover.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers mate!

Had another productive day, never get as much done as I imagine I will when I set out to tackle a job but progress never the less.

I've been collecting parts for an additional wiring loom because although my electrics work great I didn't want to overload them with extra stuff or butcher what VW fitted forty odd years ago.

SO, this is what I came up with.....

Maybe a bit crude but a plan I scribbled down.

I for a good use for a no parking sign

I ran the cable to the front and I think'll mount the junction box on the steel that joins the steering wheel support to the body

To get the dash off was a f@cker and these clips are not fun to get off VW

But access is needed for other wiring.....

And this is where I'm at :?

Looking forward to having a Tach fitted to see how the new gearbox lowered RPM's. Just a cheap one I found in town surprisingly gonna save up for the in dash VW reproduction one but its $300+ :shock:

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C34%2DEET4%2D1B32%2D00N" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the revised version of what I started out with after lunch.

More fun tomorrow :)

Bit more today, tidied up some of the wiring and my fuel lines, upgraded my battery with one that was donated out of a John Deere

Just fits in the RHR corner.

I got the front junction box mounted, I ended up hiding it behind the clocks on the upper side of the brace.

Tach's in and working.

Wired in a plug behind the spare wheel lamp incase I get a flat

Wired up a 5pin relay to the 2way foot with so I can run the spot on it's own or so it comes on with the high beams. A bit of a pain but worth the extra work and very user friendly.

My high beams never worked got a new relay still didn't work but twigged the was no power the terminal 30, on my old one 56 and 30 were joined.

There was no wire in the fuse board for 30 so I added one and it all works great!!

Loving your work buddy 8)
Got my 2.0 mounted but still trying to scavenge carb bits and run fuel lines.... Bit hard with one hand after surgery :lol:

bertiethebus said:
Loving your work buddy 8)
Got my 2.0 mounted but still trying to scavenge carb bits and run fuel lines.... Bit hard with one hand after surgery :lol:

Thanks man, hope the hand heals good, hand sugary sounds serious!

I've been chipping away, getting little things off the list.....

Fitted retractable seat belts which are not only safer but much more user friendly.

I needed to space the top mount out as it fowled on the trim

Finally removed the the blank wardrobe cover panel to recover. I need curtains so I've picked a bit of fabric to try it out and see if I want to use it for curtains all the way round.

It's an Elk pattern there's loads round here.

I also picked up a Solar panel for cheap $60 on sale 20Watts and pretty big. Plan to make it fit under the bars in the roof top storage.

Polished a bunch of the rust marks off the original paint, driving all winter has taken it toll.

EG:

All cleaned up and ready for a spin did a 200km's today runs great with the new carbs.

Dog's new driving spot

Tonight I got my SVDA dizzy working, need smaller vac hose as I have an air leak and the timing could be better.

She pop's n farts and runs a bit worse but I really didn't put much time into tuning. TBC :roll:

I started polishing the rust off one side of the front panel, the final panel to do. Not perfect as 40+ years old and I drive it year round but looking much more presentable.

Do the rest another day.....

Here's a couple of before and afters:

Also picked up two 12V dash fans on sale for $9.99 which'll help this summer when we drive down from the snowy north to the Cali coast in August.

Oh and a sweet Hurst shifter knob donated by a friend.

That curtain material is awesome. 8)

If I could go back I would have jacked mine up on offered tyres as more practical for the crappy British weather!!
Only thing is here in the UK if we go offroad its Trespass and we get prosecuted! :lol: :oops:

Happy adventures. 8)

Myvanway said:
That curtain material is awesome. 8)

If I could go back I would have jacked mine up on offered tyres as more practical for the crappy British weather!!
Only thing is here in the UK if we go offroad its Trespass and we get prosecuted! :lol: :oops:

Happy adventures. 8)

Thanks man!

I ended up getting the same material in a bit darker colour, measuring up and cutting it out.

Still need to stitch but it worked for the weekend.

Daisybay said:
So where in the Rockies are you?
Martin in Armstrong BC

I'm in Canmore AB I scooped my bus near you Kelowna BC would have driven straight passed you.

Nice to see more Canadian's on here (not that I'm Canadian just call Canada home).

I went out on the weekend and got some mud on my tires :D

First camping trip in Betty.

Ended up doing 700m of elevation over 30km of dirt road up bus drove great! basically drove up a mountain tight switch backs and all just cant take pictures and drive on the dodgiest bits.

Wow looks great would love to see more pics. there is nothing like that in the midlands UK.

I am VERY! excited about last nights score!! :D :D :D

It was a 200+ km round trip but I picked up a real deal 70's Westy Circus Tent for a real good deal.

Got out camping again this weekend :)

Headed back up to Spray Lakes again, very lucky as the campsite is only 15 miles door to sliding door and the distance is 50/50 paved and gravel which adds extra fun points to your weekend.

Great thread
Great bus
Great stance
Beautiful pics !
Loving it
Living the dream :mrgreen:

Thanks guys :D

Got a little done, had a cool gear knob donated to my project. It matches my steering wheel knob nicely.

I had to drill and tap it out bigger to a M12x1.5 thread. I don't think I posted but I did replace the whole gearstick assy with a new one a month or so ago and it all feels pretty tight.

Couldn't resist this picture :lol:

Cool thread Snow, love the bus and the mountains. I do like the 4x4 look you have going on, obviously very practical for your neck of the world, I'm willing away my rubber so I can get some. Watch out for them bears

Latest posts