Clutch problem end to a hard day.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanks

Reaction score
Nearing the end of a mammoth self build first van build and just started putting the cab together. (Done the metal work, paint, engine.....hours spent)
Fitted the pedals and thought the clutch seemed very weak, very easy to push down, didn't feel right?

Went to the back to pull manually on the arm and I could hear the clutch peddle moving, did notice there was no more adjustment on it, lever seemed to stop after a couple of inches or so of movement.

Went to cab put in gear rocked it forward till it stopped, pushed the clutch in with my hand and rocked forward again, no free wheeling, ie not releasing. Did it a few times to check, but on my own makes it awkward. Tried the same thing by manually pulling the clutch lever and nudging the van with one hand and both knees! Same not freewheeling.ahhhh

So has anyone got any checks or tips before I drop the engine to check inside!

Can't tell you what a pain it is, did 9 hours on it today and finished with that!ahh
Can some kind person give me a rundown on all possible causes and what to do to fix.
Thanks

You would not be able to disengage the clutch at the gearbox end by hand, so if you are moving the clutch release arm through its full range and it doesn't get any harder to pull than just the resistance felt by the return spring I'd say you have a snapped clutch fork (the arms sometimes break off). You could try unhooking the return spring and confirm this; you should feel the thrust bearing push against the pressure plate within a couple of inches of moving the arm but if it pulls right round then something is amiss.

Have you had the engine out? Did you fit a new clutch, thrust bearing etc? Was this combo of engine and box ever operating together before you started the resto? If not then it's entirely possible that there is no release bearing in there!

Thanks for the first insight, I'm watching this like a hawk, got to get it sorted this weekend!

The engine was out, new clutch fitted and thrust bearing, I didn't do it a mate did it while I was doing something else. It looked ok, but I didn't check the movement on the fork and bearing before I put the engine in, the new bearing was in but I didn't check! He is a mechanic so I am thinking it should be ok?

So, I moved the clutch lever maybe inch and a half, two inches and your right I could push it anymore. I'm wandering if the clutch pedal is simply not moving it enough, like a stretched cable (it is adjusted right out).

Can you run me through how to check this again Where is the return spring? I need the idiots guide and every time I get the Haynes manual out to help with something it's not very well documented.

Fingers crossed it's the cable or adjustment, only just got the engine in with painted tin, new HE's and exhaust....

What a pain

Thanks for the help though, I will sort it!

The return spring is pictured below, wrapped around the release arm

238578.jpg

The other thing it may be is that the cable is fully stretched and maybe about to snap. Another guy on here has also had a pin in the pedal assembly itself that was worn through and no longer providing a pivot to pull the cable. You should definitely check these things before pulling the engine but like I say, releasing the return spring and checking the range is a good check (though it sounds like, from what you said, that the resistance is coming on at the right point). It's a bit of a bugger of a job though...

Thinking about it, this could be an easy check which should confirm if the is a release bearing/fork issue - if you slacken off the adjusting nut right off you would see the clutch release arm sweep back continually as you unwind it. This is because it would indicate that the pedal and cable assembly is intact and that the movement is in the release arm/inside the bell housing. If the release arm doesn't really travel far then the movement must be in the cable or the pedal assembly. If nothing moves and the cable just goes really slack then it is an even stronger indicator that the cable is stretched or the pedal isn't functioning properly.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks Z, will give that a try today and report back this evening.

Got to have the van out of the workshop by Thursday at the latest! Just been lent the space till then.

I'll post a pic or two layer too.

Sorted it.
Done the test, found cable seemed to be problem and fixed it.
Thanks very much.

Great news! Well done. Hope the rest of the resto goes well.

Latest posts