Clutch problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67westy

Reaction score
Hi,

When driving this morning the gears started crunching when going into first and it was difficuly getting into second. I thought the clucth might need adjusting but if I tighten it then I start getting a grinding/whining noise when the clutch is pressed (bit like a wookie :shock: ) and loosening it off from that still crunches when going into first. If I tighten it and start it in 1st with the clutch down then it jumps forward as if it's still in gear.

Does this sound like I'll need a new clutch or is there something else I can try?

Cheers

Adam

could be the clips that hold the release bearing come loose,had the same on a beetle, easy to fix,but gotta drop the engine to get to it

Thanks, we're swapping the engine at the weekend so I guess I'll replace the clutch and thrust bearing at the same time. Good timing in a way, could've done with it lasting a few days longer though :)

Check the clutch bearing arm for cracks when you in there, the forks that hold the bearing can break off the shaft some times.

Latest posts