Colour confused

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niklee1

Reaction score
Hi All
Can I have an opinion please? My 1970 bus is in the paintshop being stripped and sanded ready for painting and I was going for Pastel White over Strato Blue L364, with standard wheels, trim etc. Now after seeing a black roofed splitty in a mag I am hankering for a black top half with matching bumpers, EMPI wheels etc.

What's your views on these combo's?

images

VanFMtlBlu2Tone5911.jpg

6_1.jpg

I haven't seen many early bays with black at the top so interested if anyone has one.

As a lot of people say - it's your bus - it's your choice !

Sounds like it would look OK, but some colours work on a split but just don't look right on a bay.

My vote would always be for the original factory colour but I do admire guys that stick their neck out and dare to be different.

Whatever colour you go for I hope you're happy with it, good luck.

Like what's been said its up to you :D but one thing to bear in mind is a lot of the time roofs are painted white due to the fact, a black roof + the sun = a bus that's like an oven :lol: so theres a practicality to it :)

Agree with the posts above. Your bus your choice. Also black isn't a particularly good colour in the hot sunshine. Luckily for you guys you don't have to worry about that much. :roll:

As for the combo, I think it only works well on splitty's. Not a fan of it on bays.

That's an interesting point about the temp inside the van although as mentioned not too much of a problem in the rain!!! LOL

Keep 'em coming ladies and gents...

It's your bus express yourself as you wish.

In the meriad of VW campers there are very few the same.

I reckon that the dark shades on top work on splits because of their shape - the V at the front merges the heavier top colour in to the lighter lower colour. I can't see that working well on a bay somehow.

For me it has to be as per the M plate.

But as has been said, it's your bus, dare to be different and you might start a trend.

Whatever you do, show us some pics of the finished bus. :D

I like the black on top with a lighter colour lower. Especially if its got a fair few accessories on as i think it sets the bus off nicer 8)

My opinion is that i don't like a heavier colour on top it just doesn't sit right with me and i'm also not a fan of using split colours on a bay. This is not because i don't like split colours as my favourite combo is sealing wax red and chestnut brown.....on lets say a 15 window deluxe MMMMMmmmmm.

However fella its your bus and you should do what you feel, i can offer some other advice, my first bus was a 2ltr devon that i decided to paint top mettalic silver and the bottom mettalic green thinking this was a very good idea, i did regret this soon after and had to live with it for 10 years.

Good luck.

THE LAST PANZER said:
My opinion is that i don't like a heavier colour on top it just doesn't sit right with me and i'm also not a fan of using split colours on a bay. This is not because i don't like split colours as my favourite combo is sealing wax red and chestnut brown.....on lets say a 15 window deluxe MMMMMmmmmm.

However fella its your bus and you should do what you feel, i can offer some other advice, my first bus was a 2ltr devon that i decided to paint top mettalic silver and the bottom mettalic green thinking this was a very good idea, i did regret this soon after and had to live with it for 10 years.

Good luck.
Thanks for that shame you had to live with it for that long, I had my first bus painted white over brown some years ago and since seen it on ebay a really bright blue and prefered it when I had it.

I will post pics of before and after when I get it back from the sprayers.

marcher said:
i sold this one a couple of years ago, i like the black roof look.

P1030678.jpg

Agreed. Black to the gutter looks good (or White if the bus is a darker colour) not sure about two tone combos to the belt line on bays though, makes them look a bit "late" seventies.

Started the resto thread now so have a look and see what colour I have decided on....(may be a while tho!!!) ;)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts