Compressor fridge in original coolbox.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathieson

Reaction score
Im thinking of retrofitting a weaco coolmachine compressor/cold plate kit nto the original cool box of my 71 campmobile. My intention is to mount the compressor remotely and fit the cold plate into the existing cool box/fridge. My hope is that this will give me compressor fridge performance, maintain the stock look of the coolbox/fridge and maximise the useable fridge space. Anybody ever attempted this before or see any potential problems?

That sounds like an excellent idea! If you get anywhere with it I would be very interested to hear more about it.

Karl

I just got a Waeco tropicool 35 coolbox (12v & Mains) for £200 that I am hoping will fit into the dormobile coolbox hole once I have removed all the innards.
Its not a "proper fridge" but cools to 30c below ambient.....
My main aim is to be able to fit & remove it so it can be used in the van & in the other car etc - hopefully when its in the coolbox hole it will be impossible to tell - I think given the dimensions I might have to make some mods to the lid though......

I'm pretty sure that Trikky2 on here has converted his dormobile coolbox to have a peltier unit (same type of cooling unit as the box I just bought) attached to the original coolbox with some modern insulation surrounding it - its on a thread on here somewhere......

Heres Trikky2s thread with details of his conversion:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1204&hilit=coolbox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i've done this it lasted about 4-5 days cooling beers constantly at glastonbury, before the battery went. i'll try and get some photos.
#

Mathieson said:
Im thinking of retrofitting a weaco coolmachine compressor/cold plate kit nto the original cool box of my 71 campmobile. My intention is to mount the compressor remotely and fit the cold plate into the existing cool box/fridge. My hope is that this will give me compressor fridge performance, maintain the stock look of the coolbox/fridge and maximise the useable fridge space. Anybody ever attempted this before or see any potential problems?

Would be interested in seeing how you get on with a conversion, i too want to keep the stock look, but with a peltier type or proper compressor or gas fridge would be great. I dont use or need the water tank behind - and a Smev 927 hob and sink unit would fit with some mods - these are my plans, along with the fridge and hob, and propex i have would be rigged up, and the zig unit, and the.........ad infinitum......... :roll:

Cheers!

Alistair

Well here goes resurrecting a really old thread....

Looking to keep my Dormi stock looking, but have a duff coolbox, so wanted to do similar to this thread.

What have people done? Did the compressor attachment work?
Did the coolbox fit in?

Cheers,
Dave

Latest posts