Computor People Help Needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustard72

Reaction score
hi all, o.k. here we go. i connect my laptop with lead from the modem/router???? anyway have got son a galaxy tab 3 for xmas. what i have done is pluged in old wi-fi, other words have taken lead out of pc and plugged into wireless, to set up the tab. turned on pc and is working fine on wireless, but is saying unprotected wireless??? the tab has picked up fine. how do i protect wireless!!!!! thanks. hope this makes sense!!!!

jason

Hi,

Sounds like you might need to log into your router and change the wireless access settings so that you have password (usually known as an access key) that any wireless device needs to enter before they can connect to your router.

It's pretty straight forward. Usually you just open up explorer (or whatever Web browser yiu use) and type in the address of your router.

I.e. If you have your broadband with sky then your router address is http://192.168.0.1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably best to goggle your broadband supplier/router to find out the router address as they can slightly vary.

^^ WHS

You just need to enable encryption on your wireless by choosing the encryption type in your router/access point config (e.g. select WEP or WPA-PSK) and choose a password,

To get to your router post your router model and the ISP you use and we can work it out

The IP address for your router is the default gateway set automatically when your PC connects to wifi - usually 192.168.0.1 - if that doesn't work - on your PC do this:

click Start
Click Run
Type (without quotes) "cmd"
in the command prompt that comes up type "ipconfig"

It should look like:

IPCONFIG.gif

This will output your IP address, network mask and importantly the "default gateway" - put that IP address into your web browser and it should bring up the web interface of your router/access point - if it asks for a username & password look on the outside of the router for a label with the info or let us know which make/model it is - usually username "admin" and password "admin" or "password" will work...

cheers for the replys peeps. got my wife to sort it as she is more tech minded than me!!!

thanks again

jason

previous post should have siad will get wife to do it!!! quick question, does the wifi have to be plugged in and turned on?? ie: should i be on wireless already??? also i take it the password will only relate to the wireless, is that right??? when i plug cable back in to laptop do not need to enter passwoed?? hope makes sense.

jason

Think of it as 3 steps...

1. make sure your router is turned on and plugged into your computer

2. Log onto your router. (something like https://192.168.0.1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) a box will appear requesting the username and password, which are usually on a sticker on the bottom of the router.

3. Once you have logged onto your router, you then find the option to turn on/off your wifi (if it isn't turned on already). Next to the wifi on/off option will be the access key (I.e the password that someone with a wifi device will need to enter to use your wifi). Usually it's 6 characters long.

Let us know how you get on.

cheers walt. though surely my wi-fi must already be turned on as the tab has picked it up??? does that make sense?? if i get stuck will post back for help!!

Latest posts