Help...In need of some inspiration!!!!! DECISION MADE.......

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky71

Reaction score
We've owned Valerie since 2010 and commisioned Midland Paintwerks in 2011 to sort out the exterior and do a baremetal respray which was fantastic,but with one thing and another and my O.C.D. about the van it has spoilt the dream :cry:

Our first problem was a poor engine diagnosed as excessive endfloat (summer 2012) which i sourced a replacement (recon case with new internals etc) from down sarff and had problems with that which put payed to summer 2013 in the van and went in a masiff tent instead.

Fast forward to 2014 and after sorting the similar problem with a second longblock supplied (while nursing a twisted lower spine and struggling to remove engine to sort dynamo bearings etc etc) the whole job took way more time than expected and the subsequent swearing ensued,the wifey was not overly keen on using the van this year so to keep her happy we went in the masiff tent again.

Now i know i am a bit over protective of the van and cuss the kids about their feet on the seats and general behaviour around the van which leads to the wifey not enjoying the getaway because i am very short with everyone which wrecks the whole experience.

Here are some photos showing what lengths we all go to,some even further in pursuit of the dream van.

Now since February of this year i have advertised the van for sale but priced fairly high and there are other vans out there asking a lot more money and as a result it has not sold,which i don't know if it is an OMEN :ghoul: good or bad.

I guess what i am asking or looking for is an answer as to what to do next?
I have told the family it is for sale only recently (kept it secret since February),the wife was fine the but kids were mortified and blubbed like stuck pigs(had some nice trips away with good memories).
Do i keep it for their sakes or just get rid??

Words of wisdom/courage and advice most welcome.

A depressed Sharky.

:sick0019:

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well the decision is to run it another 12 months and actively use the van as much as possible whether to camp in or just to commute in,in fact i used it every day last week to pick the wife up from work,it's only a 3 mile round trip and i took it even in the rain which had the effect of raised eyebrows :roll: :lol: :lol: very rare for me to use it in the rain and the wife did pass a comment about it,just struggling to sort the blowing exhaust.Found that after taking it off it is blowing from the preheat pipe where it exists the back box so what to do??
Try to fix it??Get a new one??Or buy a new Vintage speed unit baring in mind that we might end up selling the van so don't really want to splash out £400 if the van goes.
Any suggestions??

Sharky.

personally I would calm down about the seats getting dirty, the van getting scratched and all that stuff.

the van is for using and having fun, do you really want the kids to be remembering the van for the times you warned them about getting it dirty ? every stain, scratch, dent tells a story, just get in the van and use it. why on earth would you sell it after all the hard work you have put into it.

I have a 70 Westy, I re-laminated the inside, and recovered the seats, we use it all the time and the kids love it. if something gets damaged or scuffed, who cares, its a van it has an engine its meant to be driven and used for fun days out, it was never build to be sat in a garage to be looked at.

I second AxlFoley, I understand the money you would have sank into this van having just had a quote from midland Paintwerks and the hassle you have had with engines as again I have lived similar issue but look at it like this.
1) you had it painted by one of the best paint shops around so the job has been done properly and any scratches that happen if you should so wish MPW can sort for you.
2) your motor is sweet now so it won't break down.

I say get out in it, enjoy it and most of all get the whole family to enjoy it.

I had mine bare metalled about 10 years ago.
It spent 5 years being protected & barely driven.
Then 1 day I accidentally backed it into the garage, quite literally.
Ever since then, I've relaxed & enjoyed it more. Just kick back & enjoy it for what it was meant to be used for.
Just my thoughts....

I've not had the bus resprayed for this reason it looks good but not mint so I don't worry about where I park it and what the kids do to it.

the memories will out last the respray anyway so I'd just chill and use it for what it's meant for

I went Stanford this year and all the mint cars on display bored the shit out of me, I enjoyed looking around the fun time busses in the car park more!

I bought my bus 3 years ago as I have always wanted a camper not just because they look cool but because I can drive it park up and camp in it spent a fair few pennies getting to look and run how I wanted it too and my kids just pile all the stuff in the rest goes on the roof. It not show room condition but its no rotter either I clean it every week and always put plenty of wax on it. I use it as it was meant to be used 42 years ago, it does get pampered but trailered to shows like some busses

last week in Scarborough

Pretty much echo the above sentiments.
Look at it this way, you are unlikely to get top dollar for the bus and someone will be getting the midland paint for a cheap price and likely to use the van as if should be. So better you suffer a few dings and scratches with your family, in the van you bought and created. You can repaint it every 5 years if you like. Just get a decent engine from a decent supplier and use the bloody thing. Oh, and burn the tent so you have to use the van !!!

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

I agree with all the comments - why let it be a source of anxiety it isn't what it was designed for. Go with the flow.

Nothing is unreversible - you could spruce it up every 3 years or so (if you feel it's needed).

Hope you don't sell - loosen your grip and enjoy. ;)

I'd say you need to keep it and enjoy it ! We're on hols in wales at the moment, the vans looks full of sand, wet suits , picnic stuff and general holiday rubbish but in truth it's Overflowing with The Best Memories money can buy and my kids will have those forever. It took us seven hours to get here and we struggle up every hill but we all love it!! (We're only in Wales too)
Enjoy it fella, it's what they're for :p

MNy bus was painted by MPW as well. I go with the attitude of whatever I do to it they can undo :) Since getting it back from them I have whacked the front valance on a stone going into a field so it's booked in with them soon to sort that out.

Basically I'll have it back with them every couple of years to tidy up any scuffs that may occur. I still try to park in quiet parts of car parks etc but on the whole the bus is used regularly and without being too protective.

Thanks for the encouragement fellas,these are dark times for me at the moment,sort of a cross roads with regards to keep or sell.
I guess over the last two years of troubles with engines and my emotional attachment have put the kaybosch on any enjoyment.
I need to convince the wife and myself that it's worthwhile.The last two years the van has clocked up less than 1300 miles and all those were running the new engines in respectively,so it's been sat around not doing much but looking pretty.

The only down side i can see in convincing the wife to keep it is that invariably it will need more TLC along the way with items i have not touched since ownership,like the steering box,suspension and gearbox were everything else is new or has been refurbished,otherwise apart from a recently blowing stock zorst (only got about 2 1/2 k miles on,kept in garage,how long should they last??) the van seems to be running fine on the stock setup although it did breakdown coming back from the MOT station after sailing through,turned out to be the centre pin on the fuel pump had slipped back and stopped the upward moving fuel pushrod from drawing fuel through to the carb,5 mins of head scratching til i saw the offending item and a pair of snipe nose pliers later we were on the move again.

Once again thanks for the words and i will keep you posted shortly.

Regards.

Sharky.

:sick0019:

I think you've got to change your philosophy about the bus and relax. Admittedly I don't own a super shiny bus, my 71 westy still wears it's original paint along with all the scratches and dents that come with 43 years of ownership. One day I'll have MPW attend to these but the whole point I'm getting a bus was to use it, drive it, camp in it and in doing these things, you're bound to get the odd scrape.
Since getting mine about 6 weeks ago I've done 1600 miles in it and love it!

Relax and enjoy your bus, let go of all that anxiety.

I do understand what you mean. I restored a 67 E Type to a very high standard some 30 years ago and ended up selling it just 4 months after finishing it, because I had created an un useable museum piece instead of a car. It's a mistake I never made again.

If I am honest I have to admit that I enjoyed trips away in the camper more in the past, when it was just another old bus, when these vehicles weren't worth anything and I didn't need to worry where I parked it etc.

On the other hand, it is fun to have a collectors vehicle and to be able to use and enjoy it.

I guess what I am saying is that if you want to use the bus then you must accept its going to deteriorate just the same as any other car or camper will. Just keep it nice, keep the rust at bay and anything else can be fixed or replaced as and when needed.

1300 miles over two summers probably sums up your problem. You gotta use it, get out in it and enjoy it a lot more. The odd scratch won't hurt in the long term, and provided it gets you there and back, what's not to like.

It's a cracking bus, enjoy it for what it is. :D

K

Been there, done that... Sold the van and thought that was it, bought another, it goes on..... You'll spend so long looking for 'just the right bus' when you get rhe itch again you're better of with the One you have.

Drive it and enjoy it. In Two weeks time I'll be sat with friends by the fire at Vanfest, laughing myself silly and listening to the sliding doors close across the site with the smell of BBQ's, luxury.....

the other objective [but dull] way is to write a list

what are you most worried about - top 3 or 4 - then really put that into perspective and put a approx cost to it

ie paint scratches - MPW would be able to sort a fair few in 1 day as it's some prep but not masses - could be done every couple of years

You really have to enjoy it - we didn;t use ours this year for our main camping trip as I'm doing a loft extension so ran out of time - the kids said virtually everyday 'wish we'd brought kooki' (our 68!) - also if your bus is worn in a bit but every niggle is ironed out - it'll still have a massive residual - people buy into the history and adventures too

not sure if you have a heater but get one as it extends your camping period

I have fitted a new diesel eberspacher heater when i got it back from MPW back in 2011 but as of yet had no need to fire it up.
The only immediate hassle i do have at this time is a blowing standard zorst (only has around 2 1/2 k miles on it).
Can not seem to find where it is blowing from,thought it was the preheat pipe where it comes from the silencer so i gobbed some GUMGUM around the join but it still blows when cold and all is quiet when warm.
I do have a beetle sliencer i could fit for the time being but unsure of the clearance for the pea shooters against the bumper and the towbar,although the standard bus zorst fits no problem.Just did not fancy shelling out loadsa money on a nice Vintage Speed item if we sell the van.

my vintagespeed is amongst one of the best things I have bought - sounds like it is one of teh connections is blowing and then sealing when hot - unless you have a pin hole? I'm sure you know but if you hold something over the outlets - it increases the pressure and you can sometimes pinpoint the leak quicker [sometimes and don't block for extended period]

Firstly I'd like to say nice bus !!
Secondly..." ALL "vehicles are money pits, they all need work at some point , be it mechanical or body work or interior so the best advice I can give is.....
"GET OVER IT" ..... Get out there and use it... You're going to be along time dead.Go have some fun and give your kids some amazing memories of holidays away with Mum and Dad in a VW camper van that they will have for the rest of their lives.
What greater investment could you make with the money for them if you sold it?
I believe the only thing you can take with you when you leave this life is the love and memories you have.
Love your Bus

Smoke a joint and go have a romantic weekend without the kids :lol:

Use it but just dont abuse it (referring to bus)

Latest posts