CONCERNED CAMPING MUM...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biddy2101

Reaction score
So we have been camping now a total of 6 times in the last year, each time we go we improve something to make our lives a little more comfortable.

However i am struggling with just one thing - the kids sleeping in the bus, well my daughter sleeping in the bus.

My son (5 years old) has a Vango sleeping bag & really embraces the adventure of sleeping in the bus. My daughter (nearly 3 years old) also has a Vango sleeping bag but hasn't got the knack of sleeping in a sleeping bag, so ends up out of the bag & absolutely freezing - waking up in the middle of the night bawling her eyes out...

We have vinyl seat covers in the bus that do not come off & it really is cold to touch during the night. I have never covered the rock & roll bed, just chucked the sleeping bags & pillows on top, however this means that the pillows slide off the bed as well - which also adds to the upset.

Should i be covering the R & R? I have always thought i should do? But am i being a bit over the top? What do you guys do?

Concerned Camping Mum - Biddy :?

have you tried her in bigger sleeping bag? giving her room to wriggle? the other option is to put a quilt on top of the vinyl to add warmth and additional comfort from underneath, then a normal hi tog quilt on top.

the expensive otion is of course to buy a propex and keep the van at reasonable temperature through the night - but these are 500quid so not cheap

sure my friend used to have a big double type sleeping bag for his kids.....I can ask

D

edit just noticed you have a westy - did you not get the cab cot with it? these are good for keeping the smaller ones where you want them!

Hhhhmmmmm - hadn't thought about a bigger sleeping bag! Or putting the two of them into a double sleeping bag - both very good suggestions, thanks.

What i was thinking about was rather than take a duvet on holiday (John my husband moans about the amount we take already...), was to buy a double jersey bed set & then put the duvet cover down first & then try to get the fitted sheet over the R & R bed so that keeps the duvet cover in place & then the pillows also won't slide off. This will take up slightly less space but i don't know if a double fitted sheet would fit the R&R, our spare wheel is housed at the back - might have to go for a King size?

No, Razzle never came with a cab cot, he was imported from US & we have thought about buying one but we will probably not get much more use out of it now - also our daughter would give Houdini a run for his money :lol: ;)

Biddy

Double flat sheet over R&R bed everytime. I hate waking up wityh my face stuck to the sweaty vinyl.

We use an unzipped and opened out large sleeping bag tucked in around the cushions with a normal double duvet for on top. Works a treat. 6 year old daughter in roof bed with a little sleeping bag...she loves it up there!

ghop99 said:
Double flat sheet over R&R bed everytime. I hate waking up wityh my face stuck to the sweaty vinyl.
same here depending on how wide you R&R is couple of flat sheets will do the job, we do also use a duvet rather than sleeping bags as less restricted

Hi,

Not had my camper that long but after trying to figure out which way round to sleep on the rock and roll bed :? we did however discover a cheap fitted, padded matress protector, covered by a fitted double sheet, which just shapes itself around the spare wheel, is very comfy, with quilt, or sleeping bag, you just don't wanna get up in the morning :D

neither take up much storage space,

hope this gives you another idea.

Andy.

yup we do the same. open up a sleeping bag to use as a sheet and open another one to use as a duvet - awning up which doesnt fit that well to the bus and sliding door left ajar - plenty warm enough until september ish

we use an inflatable air mattress and use the electrical wheel pump to inflate it. Its one that has a flock backing so there no chance anything will slide off it.

we got a small electric fan heater from argus and just leave that on all night. It keeps the bus at whatever temperature we set it too and stops the inside from getting damp. Little girl also has a large sleeping bag to give wriggle room.

How about one of these for you youngest
http://www.lippiselkbag.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for covering the rock and roll bed we use a fitted fleecy matress cover and a fitted sheet, most of the year we use a quilt, we only used sleeping bags when it get real cold.
If your children are sleeping in the canvas hamocks that come in some early bay campers get yourself some cheep inflatable thin camping mattresses like the ones made by thermarest, it gets very cold underneath without one, I speak from childhood experience in a vw devon camper.

Cant you put a sheet on the bottom of the R&R and then unzip the sleeping bag so it's like a quilt on top so if she does wriggle out of it she can always pull it back on top of her rather than trying to wriggle back into it?

It definitely helps having something on top of the R&R as they are just so slidey! :mrgreen:

Hope everything works out x

Latest posts