CONFUSED.COM Flat battery

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemark

Reaction score
Help guys

Went away to Stanford hall at the weekend with no problems, camped 2 nights, started Monday morning first time ( as always) travelled the 2 hours home, went to start 10 mins later and nothing. Check all the usual and everything ok. It turns over but sounds like battery is going flat. Anyway jumped started and runs normal.. went to start it today and nothing..

Nothing left on before you take the piss........

How old is the battery?
Guess you arent getting a battery light on whilst running? So the alternator is functioning?

To be honest I don't know. I have had my bus almost 2 years and no to alternater the light coming on..

Sounds like it may be time for a fresh battery?
I went for a Yuasa 640HD 100ah and 900amps for cranking

Also worth cleaning the terminals, clamps and check the earth. I had an intermittent problem with not starting, would just get a click or nothing at all despite a newish battery. Cleaned everything up and not had an issue since

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yep if the alternator wasn't charging the battery the light would be on. It should light up when the ignition is on before starting the engine and then go out as soon as the engine fires up

Yep thought as much cheers stuf...
Will have a clean up of the above mentioned..
Thanks all

StuF said:
Yep if the alternator wasn't charging the battery the light would be on. It should light up when the ignition is on before starting the engine and then go out as soon as the engine fires up
Just looking at batteries myself, thats a beast you have there, I may follow suit!! I have just noticed my light stays on at idle but goes out when I increase revs, that does rule out an alternator fault doesn't it?

Cheers

Yep - mine sometimes does the same, especially when cold and not been run for a while. Small blip of the throttle and it goes out. Think it's just the voltage regulator clicking over

CornishSilver said:
StuF said:
Just looking at batteries myself, thats a beast you have there, I may follow suit!! I have just noticed my light stays on at idle but goes out when I increase revs, that does rule out an alternator fault doesn't it?

Cheers

You should see my leisure battery - lol :lol:

67westy said:
Also worth cleaning the terminals, clamps and check the earth. I had an intermittent problem with not starting, would just get a click or nothing at all despite a newish battery. Cleaned everything up and not had an issue since

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just to second this, I had the same problem and a new earth strap to the engine/gearbox sorted it out

Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, but have you charged the battery up ? The battery is a reservoir of power, if you have camped with it for a weekend and used a bit of juice from it, then started an engine from it, then you may have virtually flattened the battery. A two hour run cannot charge a flat or almost flat battery, that's impossible. A brand new battery will have more power left in the reservoir also dependent on its capacity whereas a battery on its last legs will be easily used up or flattened. Sounds like this old battery may be struggling to keep up.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, give it a good 24 hour charge first. :mrgreen:

StuF said:
CornishSilver said:
StuF said:

Cheers

You should see my leisure battery - lol :lol:

Well, if you want to play those games.....

;)

Your main one is a whopper Sparky!

But you could try harder with the leisure :lol:

It just about fits!!

Cheers ozziedog.
Battery always charged and has never done this before. I have a leisure battery for lights, music,water pump etc.. so i wouldn't of thought i used any juice. I am guessing the battery is gone but will charge it and clean all terminals just to be on the safe side..
Cheers

Latest posts