Convert Wide 5 [205pcd] to small 5 [112pcd] on rear?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdubz

Reaction score
I've tagged onto to a few 'related' threads - trying to keep the search for info simple, but I do also see that it could be misconstrued as a 'hijack' so

here is me very own fred........... 8)

I hopefully [stuff crossed, touch wood and other good luck gestures] have a 68 bay arriving soon to the UK - it has already been converted on the front to later discs...which I was going to change but I'd need new wheels as only the rears are wide5.

So I figured as I really like the fuch replicas which are 112pcd, I would slap them on - keeping discs up front [saving csp or similar] I have a narrowed late beam with early fixing points, and wagenwest dropped spindles[currently t2d when funds allow]....so it's just the rear to sort.

Adapters won't work as the et will be wrong - so I need to some how get late drums on the rear....

over to the 'ones who know' what do I need, blow by blow parts list please - or a pic nicked from a online shop with bits hilighted? will it work at all?
The good thing as I see it is that I also bought a 69 beam - drum to drum so I could then at some stage put it all back to stock if I wanted and all of it would be orig VW......

oh and thank you in advance

D

Late bay hub carrier, stub axle and rotors second hand and brakes if they are any good

but........

Everything else late bay can be bought new eg: drums, backing plates, shoes, cylinders, fixings, divider bar, adjusters

I've done just this but am now thinking about Porsche back ends.........nice paperweights though :lol:

dubdubz said:
do we have the power of pics at all?

struggling to work out which bits I need to ask for.........

Here you have some pics of a conversion done overhere:

After removal of wheel, rotor (drum) and brake shoes, this is what you obtain:
diverse011pv8.jpg

After removal of the wheel cylinder, the backingplate can be removed (backing plate is equal to that of a late bay), followed by the stub axle. The drive shafts also have to be removed for this.

The stub axle wrapped in paper is a (in this case NOS) late bay axle:
diverse013ct8.jpg

Now the threaded hole of the hub has to be drilled:
diverse019fk7.jpg

The new (late bay) wheel cylinder is bolted from the back, hence the thread in the flange of the cylinder.

diverse020xt0.jpg
[/url]

From here it's easy, just bolt on the late bay parts (carrier, brake shoes and rotor/drum).
diverse022hn0.jpg
[/url]

Brake shoes and E-brake bracket are standard late bay, E-brake cable remains standard early bay.

thanks airtime - that my friend is awesome

so the hub stays its just the stubaxles change...cool less parts to source/strip

couple more q's
do you know if the bearings change?
is the backing plate the same? the pic shows new??

thanks

D

dubdubz said:
thanks airtime - that my friend is awesome

so the hub stays its just the stubaxles change...cool less parts to source/strip

couple more q's
do you know if the bearings change?
is the backing plate the same? the pic shows new??

thanks

D

Bearings are the same, backing plates are also the same. The guy from this bus already bought new ones so he put those on. I'm planning to do the same conversion this winter. I already gathered all the parts and am now restoring/refurbishing them.
:)

so in theory [theory being the wonderful hypothetical thing it is !! ] you could just turn down/ rethread the early to make a late length? as late is shorter isn't it?

does this narrow the rear track slightly? or is the rear late drum wider? this is annoying because I've had all these parts and resold them thinking I'd never do this conversion and here I am :cry:

I have a late bay setup here that could go, everything except drums, unless T25 ones fit which i`ll check as I have a few of these. These are complete in regards that the swing arm has been cut off and drums missing, but the backing plates, cylinders, shoes are still attached.

Ring if interested.

http://www.futbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dubdubz said:
so in theory [theory being the wonderful hypothetical thing it is !! ] you could just turn down/ rethread the early to make a late length? as late is shorter isn't it?

I would get me a pair of late bay axles, as they shouldn't be that expensive and hard to find. Or just buy a complete rear set up from a late bay like I did. I just saw one offered here somewhere... ;) :mrgreen:

futbus said:
I have a late bay setup here that could go, everything except drums, unless T25 ones fit which i`ll check as I have a few of these. These are complete in regards that the swing arm has been cut off and drums missing, but the backing plates, cylinders, shoes are still attached.

Ring if interested.

I was and I did!
thanks again for the chat

please consider this/these sold - I'm not doing cornwall on sun as I thought - it will be within the next fortnight though so will ring and arrange colection/payment with you. If you need a holding deposit :lol: then I can do that too!

cheers

Darren

Airtime said:
I would get me a pair of late bay axles, as they shouldn't be that expensive and hard to find. Or just buy a complete rear set up from a late bay like I did. I just saw one offered here somewhere... ;) :mrgreen:

good call - thanks again for your post and pics , really really useful. I was thinking it was impossible or at best lots and lots of work/fabrication..........

Dubdubz, do you still want these rear axles and hubs etc. Give us a ring as a few others are interested.

most definitely....I can send money [paypal or bank txfer] ...just haven't gone to Cornwall yet...it is due but I've been working locally [we only go when I'm not busy]

so waffle over - yes def - can pay for you to hold, I can see a trip within the next 4weeks......

Darren

dubdubz said:
I've tagged onto to a few 'related' threads - trying to keep the search for info simple, but I do also see that it could be misconstrued as a 'hijack' so

here is me very own fred........... 8)

I hopefully [stuff crossed, touch wood and other good luck gestures] have a 68 bay arriving soon to the UK - it has already been converted on the front to later discs...which I was going to change but I'd need new wheels as only the rears are wide5.

So I figured as I really like the fuch replicas which are 112pcd, I would slap them on - keeping discs up front [saving csp or similar] I have a narrowed late beam with early fixing points, and wagenwest dropped spindles[currently t2d when funds allow]....so it's just the rear to sort.

Adapters won't work as the et will be wrong - so I need to some how get late drums on the rear....

over to the 'ones who know' what do I need, blow by blow parts list please - or a pic nicked from a online shop with bits hilighted? will it work at all?
The good thing as I see it is that I also bought a 69 beam - drum to drum so I could then at some stage put it all back to stock if I wanted and all of it would be orig VW......

oh and thank you in advance

D

I want to do the complete opposite to you on my 1969 bus somebody has already converted it if you want we could swap parts . ;)

sweat69 said:
I want to do the complete opposite to you on my 1969 bus somebody has already converted it if you want we could swap parts . ;)

I'm all sorted thanks to Futbus...but I may have some bits for sale soon....I need to see what from my bits I'll use as there could well be a 70 beam that I imported with my bus up for sale to cover the cost of doing the other bits I need to..I had hoped that I had the 68 beam with later discs could be swapped for the early trailing arms from that 70 beam....the beam I have fitted is probably a 74! :roll: with a servo :? so I'm going to have to narrow the 'spare' I also have anyway.........

Latest posts