Cooking on a Danbury fold out cooker - what is it like?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulcalf

Reaction score
Hi

I'm considering a few cooker options for my van.

What is it actually like cooking on the danbury cooker that folds out of the buddy seat?

Is it a bit low down?

Any input from people who have cooked on one gratefully received

This thread has a few pictures of the cooker that i'm on about

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

Paul

A friend of mine has one and unbelievably he has cooked on it in about a hundred different positions over all the years he's had one then his lad started using it and just sat straight in the drivers seat side on facing the cooker, perfect just perfect. I have got a couple of different set ups but I prefer to use them outside of the van and under the gazebo. I take a portable cooker in the van on a night before sleepy byes so I can make a coffee and get coffee in bed, apart from that I keep the smelly stuff and the splashy greasy stuff all out side of my lovely pristine bus.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, pristine,,, I wish :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

We only ever used our Danbury's original cooker for boiling the kettle whilst on picnics etc.
We had a bigger cooker outside/in the awning for cooking!

ozziedog said:
A friend of mine has one and unbelievably he has cooked on it in about a hundred different positions over all the years he's had one then his lad started using it and just sat straight in the drivers seat side on facing the cooker, perfect just perfect. I have got a couple of different set ups but I prefer to use them outside of the van and under the gazebo. I take a portable cooker in the van on a night before sleepy byes so I can make a coffee and get coffee in bed, apart from that I keep the smelly stuff and the splashy greasy stuff all out side of my lovely pristine bus.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, pristine,,, I wish :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:
Thanks very much for the reply

I usually do all my cooking outside as well, but want something for inside the van so i can at least make a cup of tea, or cook a simple meal if it is raining outside.

My van isn't a danbury conversion, but i also have a buddy seat behind the drivers seat, so sitting on this to cook, may work for me as well.

Thanks again for the reply

Lee C said:
We only ever used our Danbury's original cooker for boiling the kettle whilst on picnics etc.

Thanks for the reply

I've got a cadac safari chef for outside cooking, i just want something for inside the van mainly for making a brew.

I've done away with my awning, so need ability to cook inside if it is peeing it down!

paulcalf said:
Lee C said:

Thanks for the reply

I've got a cadac safari chef for outside cooking, i just want something for inside the van mainly for making a brew.

I've done away with my awning, so need ability to cook inside if it is peeing it down!

I think you could go a long way to beat those portable single burner gas rings, as you can leave them packed away just about anywhere and get it out for a cuppa when needed. That`s exactly what I use and its cheap too. A new one will cost you between ten and fifteen quid from Halfords or Lidl sometimes or Asda etc etc . The throw away bottles are cheap too. One bottle usually lasts a long weekend with a bit of cooking thrown in as well. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Pretty safe too !! :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
paulcalf said:
Lee C said:

Thanks for the reply

I think you could go a long way to beat those portable single burner gas rings, as you can leave them packed away just about anywhere and get it out for a cuppa when needed. That`s exactly what I use and its cheap too. A new one will cost you between ten and fifteen quid from Halfords or Lidl sometimes or Asda etc etc . The throw away bottles are cheap too. One bottle usually lasts a long weekend with a bit of cooking thrown in as well. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Pretty safe too !! :mrgreen:
I've got two of them under the other buddy seat. I've not actually used one inside the van though, so perhaps I'll give that ago first!

Ideally I want something that I can just flip out and fire up quickly though

Oh good, you don't get much quicker than these when you consider convenience and versatility when you put them against a fixed item and the plumbing and the space it's using when not being used. You do have to be extremely careful with them as with all gas appliances you do need a fair amount of fresh air when using them even if its raining, also making sure it's not too close to door cards or paintwork or curtains etc and what its stood on won't melt or burn. I have an old pine bedside cabinet with two useful drawers in it. It goes just in the van behind the passenger seat with the cooker on about a six inches to a foot away from the card on the bulkhead and right next to my opening sliding window in my side door. When I'm out of the van, so is this cabinet complete with cooker. Less smells the better and the less steam in there the better. Reading all that above, it does sound like you are a perfect candidate for an occasional using of a behind the seat cooker. You have a rolling window of your choice, it's out of the way most of the time, you would be out of the way when cooking, and that would only be on occasions. You can still use the cooker with the door open and with you stood outside if you want too. HHhhhmmmm ???

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, So that's two of us looking now. :shock: :roll: :shock:

ozziedog said:
Oh good, you don't get much quicker than these when you consider convenience and versatility when you put them against a fixed item and the plumbing and the space it's using when not being used. You do have to be extremely careful with them as with all gas appliances you do need a fair amount of fresh air when using them even if its raining, also making sure it's not too close to door cards or paintwork or curtains etc and what its stood on won't melt or burn. I have an old pine bedside cabinet with two useful drawers in it. It goes just in the van behind the passenger seat with the cooker on about a six inches to a foot away from the card on the bulkhead and right next to my opening sliding window in my side door. When I'm out of the van, so is this cabinet complete with cooker. Less smells the better and the less steam in there the better. Reading all that above, it does sound like you are a perfect candidate for an occasional using of a behind the seat cooker. You have a rolling window of your choice, it's out of the way most of the time, you would be out of the way when cooking, and that would only be on occasions. You can still use the cooker with the door open and with you stood outside if you want too. HHhhhmmmm ???

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, So that's two of us looking now. :shock: :roll: :shock:

thanks @Ozziedog

I'm sure you will hear about any danbury cookers before me, i'm rarely on this forum. If i come across a mint original one you can have it as my van isn't a danbury. I may even ask an engineer friend if he could make me something based on the danbury idea.

Thanks for your replies

You have indeed piqued my interest. My mate has two of these so I`m gonna have a good look at how its done. I`m thinking the hardest part has to be the seat conversion to allow it to flip forward. I`ll keep my eyes open for one for you, if I get one that`ll be item seven hundred and ninety three on my ` to do ` list and the list gets longer and I`m getting older and some (most) of these things just won`t happen.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, likes lots of things, just don`t get round to it no more :mrgreen:

Latest posts