What Oil ? ? ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Gaz,
still squealing like a stuck pig but only when I’m driving along, :unsure: , it’s quiet down the garage right now. Gotta be the extra detergent or whatever it is in that super duper modified oil that’s managed to de silt my gearbox. There’s gotta be some truth in the old tights , banana skins and any old rubbish in there. We’ve got a little respite though as I’ve just put in another stereo the same as the old cheapso one and some newer speakers to drown it a bit.:cool::cool::cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, more than one way to shut up a box.:)

Hey Gaz,
still squealing like a stuck pig but only when I’m driving along, :unsure: , it’s quiet down the garage right now. Gotta be the extra detergent or whatever it is in that super duper modified oil that’s managed to de silt my gearbox. There’s gotta be some truth in the old tights , banana skins and any old rubbish in there. We’ve got a little respite though as I’ve just put in another stereo the same as the old cheapso one and some newer speakers to drown it a bit.:cool::cool::cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, more than one way to shut up a box.:)
🤔 Hmm, i'd get your spare box recon'd if it were me.
Anyways, the elusive red bung turned up whilst the van was up the road being MOT'd 👍
Odd thing this morning,as i pulled away i had a 2 second power cut, as if you'd took a battery lead off momentarily, hasn't done it since. Anywayz, see you at Caldicot 🏰😎

🤔 Hmm, i'd get your spare box recon'd if it were me.
Anyways, the elusive red bung turned up whilst the van was up the road being MOT'd 👍
Odd thing this morning,as i pulled away i had a 2 second power cut, as if you'd took a battery lead off momentarily, hasn't done it since. Anywayz, see you at Caldicot 🏰😎
I got the Stella chilling as we speak. Might do some work on it too.
NO!!! I got the Stella chillin and that’s more than enough for one man :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Yup, see ya there :)

Trying to get there for lunch I reckon on the Friday, then crack on with the Championship Stella emptying competition. So long as Clare stays away with the shots we’ll be fine. keep her under control Stu. 🎮

Ozziedog,…….. burgers by five :)

you might be on the winning team Dav, the weather forecast is damp and getting damper with a possibility of a hint of a hurricane thrown in :unsure:
Last year peeps were going home because it was too hot on the Sunday.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Might have to take extra Stella:):D;):p:)

You are probably right about the bearings.

I have just had my gearbox rebuilt by John Walklett as my gearbox would whine like a WW2 truck under load. On stripping it, John found worn pinion and mainshaft bearings and the housing was also worn allowing the bearing to move. If your housing is also worn then it will need to be re-bushed to get a propper fit on the bearing.
Just taking delivery of a built freeway flyer by John Walklett. A real gent to deal with. His suggestion for gearbox oil was Comma 80-90 GL4. You need more than 3ltrs so cheaper to buy 5ltrs can. Looking forward to lower rpm cruising speed. Now have a spare excellent 3 rib gearbox

Just taking delivery of a built freeway flyer by John Walklett. A real gent to deal with. His suggestion for gearbox oil was Comma 80-90 GL4. You need more than 3ltrs so cheaper to buy 5ltrs can. Looking forward to lower rpm cruising speed. Now have a spare excellent 3 rib gearbox
Exactly the oil John recommended to me so I used it.

In hindsight, I wish I’d stayed with Morris 80/90 or Miller 80/90 regular oil. That super duper stuff rinsed out my box by the sounds of it and just cleared all the fermentation out of the bearings and synchros or whatever it did. Back to regular stuff now though.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,might’ve been OK on a rebuilt box praps :)

I went with Fusch Titan gearbox oil and Valvoline VR1 race oil for the engine. No issues yet, a few years down the line.

Because modern engine oils do not contain the high levels of zinc that are allowed in racing oils as they are not regulated for mass road use, although readily available. The VR1 is not suitable for any modern cars. Zinc reduces wear + it is reasonably priced compared to any modern branded oil. A lot of people used to swear by single grade 30 oil but it's generally accepted now that it's not ideal.
The Titan gearbox oil is not overpriced either, it's about in line with any other decent brand.
I can't understand why you wouldnt use the best available and within your budget on a loved and valuable vintage vehicle. Don't get me wrong, i don't go overboard with it but a good balance between quality and affordability is how i make any purchase for pretty much anything.
My bus is 51 this year

Why! Why give your cat caviar when it is quite happy with kitty kat!
Once you go through the misery and expense of a full rebuild due to fucked lifters and a flat cam you’ll appreciate why you should use a suitable oil with the required levels of ZPPD (zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate) which flat tappet cams require to prevent accelerated wear.

Once you go through the misery and expense of a full rebuild due to fucked lifters and a flat cam you’ll appreciate why you should use a suitable oil with the required levels of ZPPD (zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate) which flat tappet cams require to prevent accelerated wear.
Well, all I can say in answer to that is my 1600sp has been running on SAE 30 and latterly on 5 w 30 since 1983 with no problems.

If it works for you, great. I hope you get many more years happy motoring out of it.
I don't want to go all Matt Hancock on you but, i'm sticking with the science.
The oil discussion is on every forum and we all have our preferences. As long as it is changed regular an engine should do OK.
A gearbox, however is a different matter. The oil is very rarely changed so i prefer to put something good in there if poss.
I have a few bottles of Halfrauds gearbox oil (not sure where they came from) but still bought the Fuschs Titan for the bus. I see it as an investment in lower future costs.
If i bought a fancy new gearbox, at todays prices, i would happily shell out for the best oil to put in it.
As it stands my gearbox is likely the OG from '72. It whines a little but still going strong for now.

Latest posts