cooling on a 1641

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ye thats what im thinking but what?

really cant get my head around it i built it by the book doing all the relavent checks along the way,who knows ive about had enought to be honest ,ive been using it for work every day and its fine on the 30 min comute,but as soon as i take it up to 60 it gets to hot,oh well might just buy a new en then pop all my new bits on and just have to cut my losses

strongy said:
im starting to agree with slammed on this one ive poped this 1641 in mine,the engine has had

new crank case
new bairings(all of them)
new barells (mahle)
new pistons (mahle)
new heads
new rockers
new dizzy
new coil
new ht leads
new pluggs
new carbs
all new tin and all the seals(everylast piece)
new exhaust
new cooler
new alternater and belt
new stand
new fuel pump and pin thing :wink:
new oil :lol:
oh and a new batery
then i took it to a chap that i know is good to have it timed and tuned

but i still cant run at over 50 mph for 15 mins without it geting very very hot

Mine is the same spec as that. Is it a genuine crankcase? Is it genuine tinware? Is it a vac or 009 dissy?

Also, not wishing to re read the entire thread, How do you know it is getting too hot? What gauge are you using?

Just buying new parts does not guarantee they are to VW specs. I have seen Mahle and the Chinese nikki p/c's that are out of round/spec. We just rejected 9 out of 10 factory VW engine cases as the crank/cam tunnels were machined off line; oil galley to oil pump holes sometimes don't line up. The current Kadrons (Empi) often have mis-aligned manifold/head bores and have incorrect progession circuitry as supplied. Check before you buy!
Also, with all the overheating issues, are you all using old cases (30+ years old!) Align bored? Get the air/fuel mix checked as this with timing errors will cause overheating. All engine seals in good condition (incl spark plug ones) and all tin (rear deflectors underneath?) and thermostat in position, functioning, and correctly adjusted?
I ran a 1641 with old Kadrons, 009 and stock exhaust with no problems and it went like a bat out of hell compared to its predecessor.

slammedkustom said:
i can see your point but ive dealt with hundreds of engines, never would i recomend a 1641. at the same time as the thinner barrel problem i find half the time someone will buy a new engine and fit all the old ancilleries and poorly fitting tinware and then when there is a problem its the engines fault, not i cant get the timing right or tune a carb etc etc.
your engine may go for a 100-000miles but in my experiance 1641=poop :wink:
also a lot of these barrels n pistons are not made by someone like mahle, its some unheard of make, no thanks

on my own engines i take time to make sure the tinware fits properly, all the seals are in place and its tuned properly. :wink:

Just ran a very tight 1641 from Shropshire to Devon plus 2 hours idling in M5 traffic jams with very poor fitting tinware and knackered seals (Thanks to late supplier delivery) no overheating problems whatsoever, there must be something significantly wrong if an engine overheats at 50mph plus with a good airflow. It it is the unfortunate case that the engine has to be swapped lets hope this solves the problem :roll:

so after alot of thought on my engine prob ive desided to go for a new engine,cant make my mind up tho.1600 from gsf or 1600 from heratage or 1641 from heratage?and also im not sure if its worth paying the extra for the new case on the heratage ones?

sorry to keep on about this but it seems to be can of worms subject and i dont want to get it wrong a second time

that is looking like the safest option to me,is heratage the best place to buy from?
has any body got one from there as they dont list delivery for them when you add it to basket, i wonderd what the delivery charge is and how long it will take to come .il ring then in the morning but thought id ask in the mean time

the gsf are looking the cheepest and i can collect so shouldent have to pay postage.£1145.63 all in il pop in in the morning and see how long it will take to come

heritage charge £50 postage and then you have to either have your engine ready to swap over or pay a surcharge and then send your engine back (another £50) for the surcharge to be refunded
GSF have a lot of branches so you should get one local, just inspect it well before accepting it, i once had one delivered that was a V4 rather than a flat4... i think it got dropped off a lorry and bent:shock:

il bare that in mind. however fraggle has just posted on his thread that there on back order till sept :(

Latest posts