crankcase venting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

62 deluxe

Reaction score
Ive had my Crossover (Type 4,2ltr with twin weber 40's) for a couple of years, but have always had an oil leak problem, usually pushrod tube or rocker covers. I was looking at a stock CU engine and noticed a few differences. Mine has an oil hose from the crankcase that just bends in a u shape and goes through the tin to below the engine, so venting to atmosphere. Could this be the problem, as the stock engines seem to vent into the air filter.

It could be, certainly if the engine if a few years old. The idea is that a small amount of oily mist is transferred via that tube to one of the air filters, or the air box on a standard setup. The engine then just draws the oil in and burns it, rather than have it vent to atmosphere. If the piston rings wear, the pressure on the inside of the crankcase will increase, and more oil is forced out of that tube into the air filter/atmosphere. I recommend doing a compression test. If all cylinders are over 100PSI then just connect that rubber line to an air filter and look elsewhere for your leak. If they're under 100PSI it may be top end time.

Edit- just noticed it's leaking from pushrod tubes or rocker cover gaskets. In that case it's more likely to just be bog standard dry seal leaks, but it's worth doing a compression test anyway.

Latest posts