Crooklocks...?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow-lane-Matt

Reaction score
I bought a Crooklock today for £50, branded Thatcham, but as the bus's steering wheel is much bigger and more horizontal than a regular car it doesn't work in the conventional way, you could still drive the bus off, would be awkward, but possible....

At home we use a wheel clamp and park a modern car across it - but that's not practical when out and about.

Apart from trackers - what do you find effective for security....?

Attaching as second photo on full wheel lock works better - but still not ideal, and could achieve same same result with any lump of metal and a big padlock and save £50.

Maybe a daft and pointless question - but are these old buses more or less attractive than regular cars to thieves ?

I can still return the crooklock to shop - if anything better is available.....?

2013-04-02102449.jpg

2013-04-02102644.jpg

Get one of these mate
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=36123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other issue with crooklock-style mechanisms is that the steering wheel is quite flimsy compared to modern equivalents and a thief will simply break it to get the lock off.

A disklok is not the answer either as they don't seem to make one big enough. Shame.

As Chrisgooner says, an Ubersecure lock is a great choice, although it isn't visible so does not act as a deterrent. It sits across the pedals and steering column, immobalising the bus very effectively. Fit a good quality close fitting lock to make it super secure.

May be wrong here, but most vans I have read about being stolen are taken from outside the owners house. The thieves have time to plan the crime.
When you are out a visible anti theft device is the best thing IMO. Like a krook lock or similar.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

To be honest if someone wants to take your bus bad enough they will find a way around all the installed security devices :shock: - Personally when out and about I use an Uber Secure Pedal Lock inconjunction with my Gene Berg locking shifter and when at home the bus is kept inside a locked, cctv'd and alarmed garage.

Although the Berg locker and Uber Secure lock arent the most visible of anti-theft devices they would suffice in disuading the casual thief. 8)

I have on occasion removed the rotor arm and several peeps on the forum also use a hidden fuel cutoff. :D

I use one similar to this which hooks from the pedal onto the wheel spoke very close to the horn button. It wont move away from the centre of the wheel because the wheel spoke goes upwards. The steering wheel wont move more than a quarter turn.

th

I use a period krooklok similar to Trikky's, plus a steering wheel lock similar to the one you bought plus UberSecure across the pedals. Just try to make it look like loads of hassle to nick! :lol:

One of those Uber lock things could be fairly easily removed by unbolting the pedals surely?

Not sure what the best thing is to protect a ven, bus as said, probably a combination of things to either delay or put of the thief?

:)

An officer I spoke with says 90% of car thefts nowadays are done after a burglary and taking the keys first or just dragging the vehicle up onto a lorry and driving it away. Forewarned is forearmed and all that.

I've got a smaller MCJ steering wheel 15" and my old disc lock fits over the steering wheel nice and snug.
Once I get my bus back on the road I'm gonna get the sky-tag, I don't mind paying the £6 pm, at the end of the day my bus is gonna be worth a fair bit, the added piece of mind will be worth it.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27415" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;)

Latest posts