Cross-Threaded spark plug

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicky5ash

Reaction score
Hello :)

My 1971 prototype has a stock type 1 1584 engine. Previous owner fitted a helicoil in a plug hole which has failed. Rather than bodge further I plan on changing the head. I am planning on dropping the engine and box out in one, have removed everything ready to drop it out.

What heads would you recommend? Should I change both? Would you recommend any other jobs whilst it’s out? I’ve had some 1st gear section issues so I was planning on trying to get to the bottom of that too. Any advice would be well received..thank you .

I think the proper advise to replace with a matched pair.
I replaced both of mine at one point with Autolinea heads which I found available at my local GSF.

If you're unsure of the age of the gearbox oil - give that a change. Make sure you can undo the _filling_ plug before you drain what's in there ;)

Thankyou..Yes I’ve heard it’s best to dump the gear oil out before you drop the engine and box out for the reason you mention..thanks for the reminder..I would have forgotten!

Thanks will do. I might have a look at the fuel tank as I was finding crusty bits blocking the float switch on the top of the carb...I will fit an inline filter in anycase..I’ve picked up a proper solex pic 34-3 to refurb as there was an unreliable shiny empi on it.

Your gear selection issue will most likely be down to worn bushes, especially the "shuttlecock" one (no 13) in the rear shift tube. You can only get to the rear shift rod once the engine and gearbox is out, so now's a good time to replace them all.

sparkywig said:
Your gear selection issue will most likely be down to worn bushes, especially the "shuttlecock" one (no 13) in the rear shift tube. You can only get to the rear shift rod once the engine and gearbox is out, so now's a good time to replace them all.

Thanks..this was another reason for dropping them both out.. the van has fixed belly pans so hopefully I can detach from the gear lever end and pull it all through. Helpful diagram too

gvee said:
I think the proper advise to replace with a matched pair.
I replaced both of mine at one point with Autolinea heads which I found available at my local GSF.

If you're unsure of the age of the gearbox oil - give that a change. Make sure you can undo the _filling_ plug before you drain what's in there ;)

My van production date was 1 Dec 71, it has the rectangular engine vent, single rear light cluster, does yours 4 months earlier have the half moon vent and round rear lights? I’m sure there is a prototype history of changes on here somewhere?

sparkywig said:
Model Years ran from 1st August to 31st July, so if your production date was 1st December 1971 then it's a 1972 MY vehicle.
(1st August 1971 - 31st July 1972)

Understood thanks

Dicky5ash said:
Has anyone got recommendations in terms of improved gear shifters?

With the best will in the world, I’d get this lot working nicely first including any thing that includes wear in your linkages etc. Then when you got it working nicely that’ll be the time to change to a super duper gear shifter if it still takes your fancy :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,Berg is sposed to be best :mrgreen:

Okey..thx..I thought the gear stick selector gate maybe a contributing factor but if it’s best to do the rest first...I shall :)

Latest posts