Crossed over with a Crossover !

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topmonty

Reaction score
Hi,
As the title says just moved over from the late bay forum after selling my late bay and buying an Early Bay ( cossover ). Not without incident though............ expierienced serious engine trouble on the M6 on Saturday on my way back to sunny Berks and had to be recovered.
Could now be in the market for a replacement engine......... anybody like to offer recommedations on suppliers ? Also would like to say a BIG thanks to the member of this forum who stopped to offer help and encouragement whilst armed with a fire extinguisher ! you know who you are so put your name up for a bit of recognition as its people like yourself who are a credit to the forum and the VW movement as a whole.
Cheers.

Try pete.nice on here, he's local to you. :)

hello pal im glad too see you got home ok have you managed to sort out what was causing the extreme heat and have you tried running her since it might not be terminal ..sorry i could,nt stay longer with you on saturday had to do a bit of distance work and only just got back today let me know what you dicover and welcome to the forum.. :party0047:

Hi mate,
Nice to see you pop up............ thanks again,I'll keep you posted. Also managed to start the bus and run a short distance a couple of times but symptoms persist... :? Cheers

she,s till getting hot have you had chance to get anyone to look at her yet or are you going to try and sort it youreself

getting hot ? do the basics, oil level and timing as these are the biggest contributers to engines getting hot (lack of cooling - oil , and pre-ignition - timing)

either one only needs to be just off the mark and it will cause trouble.

Hi!

Welcome along! sorry to hear about the engine probs - as well as other things people have mentioned about overheating - have a little look arounf the insides of the engine cooling fan - it may have sucked up a cloth or rag, tissue or suchlike reducing the air flow to the engine?
Long shot, but quick to check with a mirror and torch and a mooch around!

Good luck!

Alistair

Hi guys
Not had a lot of time,but managed to do the oil and have a good mooch around checking for any debris that may have been sucked up. Still starts but with a fair amount of smoke that seems to die down but returns on acceleration.Going to check timing tomorrow............ I'll keep you posted............thanks for the tips .
Cheers :?

Hi people,
Quick up-date,don't be too hard on me........... but after trying several suggestions and getting nowhere;have now sent the bus away to be checked out ......... watch this space for the verdict. To be honest I am suspecting the worst :|

Hi
Just to keep you posted................no news yet,but I suppose no news is good news.Also as its been explained to me several times,you can't rush people in the VW world ! Personally I've got no problem at all with that Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
:roll:

Hi all,
News today.........................two pistons holed,cracked heads and a busted exhaust just for good measure ! Re-build underway already. Any comments or opinions welcomed,especially as to the reason why.

topmonty said:
Hi all,
News today.........................two pistons holed,cracked heads and a busted exhaust just for good measure ! Re-build underway already. Any comments or opinions welcomed,especially as to the reason why.

Ouch..!! :shock: Sorry to hear that..!! Good Karma to a fellow Crossover..!! :)

:shock: :shock: dude thats not funny 2 pistons holed im clutching at straws here but could it be down to a lean mixture or tight valves either way you dont expect this after buying a van and getting 20 mile down the road if it helps ive got a couple of spare heads but one needs the valve seat doing let me know if you need them postage only or if someone can collect free you take it easy pal

Hi gee and all,
Yes your are right in thinking I got a rough deal,but I decided to go ahead with the deal even knowing the bus had not really been used for a couple of years. It had had a new fuel pump and a carb re-build to get it going and although sluggish seemed ok to attempt the drive home.As you say a lean mixture could well have been the cause,I need to speak to the guy doing the work to get a more accurate diagnosis so I'll let you know for sure.Oh and have already sourced a couple of decent used heads,thanks for your offer.
So as the re-build takes place I'm busy looking at all the nice stuff and and bits and pieces I need to finish the bus .......................oh and whats your opinion on quick shifters ?

yep really good bits of kit ive got an empi trigger shifter fitted but getting to the handbrake when its in 1,st is awkward we can always ask the others on here what they run alternativly you can get a metal quickshift plate http://www.justkampers.com/search2?location=shop&method=match_all&keywords=gear+stick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they work well and do take a lot of slop out of the stick..... :mrgreen:

Latest posts