Crossover brakes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbo

Reaction score
Hi handbrake on my 1972 crossover pretty useless. Seems these are a one year only system, any pointers on what to do please and who stocks the one year only parts. Many thanks..p.s.Will they take the later braking system.

They're not much different in design. They may fit if you get the whole set-up including the back plates, not sure though perhaps someone elase will know. I would not replace them though as all but one part is available. I recently had to work on the rear brakes on my '72 as the spring steel clip and pin on the handbrake equaliser bar, which are the major difference from other years came undone and trashed my rear shoes and by the time i got the 30 miles home they were both worn away and unuseable. When the clip and pin come out this causes the brake to not work on that side and the handbrake to have massive travel with virtually no effect. If this is the case and the pin is still OK you can still get the clip and all the other parts are available. I think Heritage or JK sell the clip but not the pin. I replaced both sides on the rear with new '72 shoes and fitting kit with springs etc from GSF. My Dad turned a new pair of pins on his lathe from gunmetal then I drilled a hole through them and used a washer and tiny split pin to secure. There's still plenty of clearance and they'll never fail again.
We're jumping the gun a bit.
Have you had a look to see if all is well within the drums and at the handbrake balance adjuster beneath the rear of the cab floor? If you have cleaned, serviced and properly adjusted your rear brakes they should be operating correctly. The handbrake adjuster should be slackened off before you set up the brake shoes, then adjust the handbrake to 6 to 10 notches. Re-adjust after a hundred or so miles when they've bedded in. My handbrake works fine but to be sure on hills I always leave mine in gear, wheels pointing toward the kerb. The stock brakes will always seem inferior to any modern car or newer bus as there's no servo to help out.
The front is the real nightmare, '72 is a one year only caliper, pads and discs. The calipers have been unavailable as a new part for a long time. I replaced the rotted away front calipers with a '73 onwards conversion kit from JK, came with Genuine ATE calipers. It fits the original discs which are still available if a little expensive.

I don't know how knowledgeable/skilled you are but if you get the drums off post up a picture if you can.

do yours look like mine

50c14f0a282ffa0c584d7be3e9de2006.jpg

d6cd059aa75d338018bde82da9b76ba2.jpg

Latest posts